Child domain dns issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child domain dns issues

Hi there. Wonder if I could get some advice on this when anyone gets a chance.

Ive installed a new DC for our child domain. The Ip of this is 10.1.31.11

I have given this for the DNS server in the scope for the clients of the child domain. This DNS server also points to its own IP address for DNS resolution. The client PCs join to the child domain with no problem.

The issue comes when I want to join a couple of these PCs to the Root domain for certian users instead of the newly created child domain. The Root domains DNS servers IP adress is 10.1.16.7.
    I haven't tried using this IP for the scope of the child domains clients PC's.
    Im sure that having the clinets point to the child domain DNS server is fine and their must be a way to get this to work.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shaun

Re: Child domain dns issues

Well guess nobody has any suggestions

Well I investigated further and it seems that if I point everyone to the Root domains DNS server IP I can join machines to both Domains and log on to both domains. ??

Is this the right way to have it configured.

Regards

Shaun

Comment

It depends how you have configured DNS. I personally wouldn't do it that way.
      I would configure the child domain clients to point to the child domain DNS. I would configure the DNS zone to be AD integrated on both the root and child domain and replicate the zone to all the DCs in the forest.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Is the zone active Directory integrated?

Did you have a child domain existing before you promoted to DC?

If its not active directory integarted then you need to either, make the TCP/IP properties for DNS point to the root server or add the root server as a forwarder.

Thanks

EDIT: L4ndy in before me.. agree with L4ndy better way.
        Last edited by ikon; 15th October 2009, 13:06.
        MCSE 2003; MCTS Vista; Sec+; CCNA
        Attitude Makes The Difference!
        in other words you got to WANT to do it..

Comment

Well basically I ran dcpromo and created the child domain in an existing domain. I then installed DNS and let it replicate from the main DC to the new child DC. I then chose the option on the child DNS server to replicate to all DNS servers in the forrest.

The zone for the child domain appeared on the root DNS server after a while. If i go to the properties of the zone on the child DNS server it says active directory integrated zone.

I then point the child DNS server to itself for DNS resolution on its TCP/IP properties. If clients on the LAN get the child domains DNS server IP from DHCP they dont seem to find the route domain still.

Im not sure where im going wrong. Seems the clients can resolve names of servers etc in the root domain but cant get the "Logon box" when I want to add them to the route domain. It just says domain cannot be found.

Thanks again

Shaun

Comment

Working...
          X