Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating from Windows 2003 to Windows 2003

Hello.
    I know this should be an easy answer, but everything I have read on it say's otherwise. Unless I am just not understanding.
    Here's what I want to do. I have currently 2 Dell Poweredge 1650's running Windows server 2003.
    DC1 - DNS, DHCP, WINS, File server, AD..
    DC2 - complete replica of DC1, except File Server.
    What I want to do, is upgrade the boxes to Dell Poweredge 2850's. I already have the hardware and Software of course.
    I have pulled Microsofts KB article # KB324801 How to view and transfer
    FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003, and have read it top to bottom multiple times.
    I understand what needs to be done, I just want to make sure that all I have to do is bring the other server up, promote it to DC, let DNS, and DHCP, and WINS replicate to it, transfer the FSMO roles, including GC, and demote the other server. That correct?
    Also, will I be able to re-name the new DC once the other one is off the network? I want to try and keep my safe naming.
    That you for all the help!
    Ben Simpson

> That correct?

Yes, but perhaps incomplete.
    - if the new DC's have different IP's you need to ensure that all domain members use the new ones for DNS
    - If you have a nontrivial site structure you will need to incorporate the new DC's properly.
    - you need to demote the old DC's, not just turn them off.
    - configure an external time source for the new PDCe.

> Also, will I be able to re-name the new DC once the other one is off the network?

Yes, if the domain is in W2003 native mode.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      > - if the new DC's have different IP's you need to ensure that all domain members use the new ones for DNS
      For that, I just planned on giving the new DC the old DC's IP. Will that not work?

> - If you have a nontrivial site structure you will need to incorporate the new DC's properly.
      I dont quite get what you mean here. Nontrivial? And all I did was run dcpromo and added it as another DC in the domain.

Thanks agian.
      Ben

Comment

Hi Ben,
        Originally posted by blsimpson
        Thank you for your reply.
        > - if the new DC's have different IP's you need to ensure that all domain members use the new ones for DNS
        For that, I just planned on giving the new DC the old DC's IP. Will that not work?
        That will work, sure (after the demote of the old DC's, of course)
        > - If you have a nontrivial site structure you will need to incorporate the new DC's properly.
        I dont quite get what you mean here. Nontrivial? And all I did was run dcpromo and added it as another DC in the domain.

Thanks agian.
        Ben
        That's a trivial site structure By non-trivial I meant the situation where you configure explicte sites, sitelinks, and so on.

Comment

Working...
        X