Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Network Performance - possible double working

My Documents Folder is redirected to a network share

Problem: When clients download files from the internet to My Documents (which is located in the server) the download speed is slow (maybe 4 times as slow) as compared to if the files were download directly from the server.

Theoretically, the download speed should be almost equal to the download speed one would receive as if sitting on the server.

However, what I think is happening is that the router is doing double work: it is transmitting the data from the router to the client and the client is sending it to the server, which is why download speed is slow.
    Is my assumption correct, and if yes how do I stop it from doing this? The data should go directly from router to server.
    If not, why not and how can I improve performance.

Searched everywhere, but it seems I can't find anything on this issue and it is extremely annoying since we deal with large PDF documents.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Slow Network Performance - possible double working

Won't be your router thats the issue asyour downloading it from the net to a temp location on the machine then to the final location.

Do you have any routes in place??

Are all your machines on the same subnet???

What happens if you download directly to the client machine???

Comment

Essentially, you're on the right track. Because the client is initiating the download the file comes to the client, but then because of the redirection the file goes to the server from the client. It's not really that the router is doing double work as the file is not being downloaded twice, it's just that the file goes through the client to get to the server because of the redirection.

AFAIK, there's nothing you can do. When the file is downloaded it's going to go where ever the user chooses and if they choose the My Documents folder then it's going to wind up going through the client to the server.

Comment

Do the duplex and speeds of the network cards all match? Is this a universally experienced thing with all clients or just a few? Is communication from the clients to the server slow in any other scenario like just moving a file over?
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Sorry it took so long to reply to this.

THe slow speed does not occur when using a client and saving files in client's local folders.
          The slow speed does not occur when I used the server and saved files in the server's shared folders.

The slow speed occurs only when logged on to client machine and saving files in network share.

Comment

Anyone have any ideas to this, or is the situation what it is...not fixable?

Comment

I don't see it as a problem as much as I see it as a function of the way the redirection is set up.

The client initiates the download so the data comes to the client, but then because it's being saved to a folder that's redirected to the server the data goes from the client to the server.

The only thing you could do to change this is:

1. Download the data to another folder that isn't being redirected to the server.

2. Stop redirecting the folder to the server.

Comment

Cool. Thanks.

Comment

If you can use ftp transfers you can do this by using FXP (file exchange protocol) protocol for direct transfer of files between servers without routing through the client's computer.

Comment

THank you for the idea,
                    will look into how to do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X