Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make file server by Mapping Drive in my computer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make file server by Mapping Drive in my computer.

I want to make file server in windows server 2003 where the client machine i.e windows xp ( In my computer Z drive) should save his files on the server by mapping .

That that purpose I make windows server 2003 with AD and a member server running windows server 2003 (for file server). On the client side the users are using windows xp and vista. I want that when the user authticate from the domain controller then in the windows xp "My computer" there should be a drive i.e "Z Drive" appear automatically. The advantage of this drive is the user should save his/her files on the server not on local computer.

Please guide me that how can i do it and which steps should I take to make map drive for each user.

thanks in advance,
    my pass

Re: How to make file server by Mapping Drive in my computer.

1. Go to user properties in AD
    2. click on profile
    3. Click on connect
    4. Select Drive letter you want to name that
    5. In next box enter network path of the folder on the file server e.g. \\fileserver\shareddrive\username (User name is AD username for that user)

This can also be mapped through login script if you want to map multiple drives. For single drive this should solve your purpose

I have hope this will help
    Rajeev

Comment

thanks for the reply. Well I want to map drive through login script using
      "net use " command. For that purpose I deploy AD on windows server 2003. Make a OU like "Marketing" and in it I make users in it.

The steps which i took are as under.

In server1 (Holding AD) I do the following configurations.

1- under Marketing OU I take its properties,"Group Policy"click on " New "and give it a name as "Marketing_share".

2-Click on Edit buttton.
      3-Under User Configuration ....>Windows Settings....>Scripts.
      4-Double click on "Logon" and add the name of file which I have made "Shared.bat" The script which I wrote inside is

" NET USE S:\\File_Server\Share Folder Name\"username% /PERSISTENT:NO "

this file is saved in C:\ as a root where windows server 2003 is installed.

In Server 2 (File Server) I do the following configurations.

1-Make it a member server.
      2-Login through administrator.

3-Made a folder i.e "Marketing" and share it.

In ( Client computer ruiing windows xp ) I do the following configurations.

1- Made it member of server .
      2- Login the computer using Active Directory user account name.
      3- Double click on My computer.
      4- Here I can not see the map drive ?

Please guide me that where I am doing miske ? Why the drive is not mapping automatically when the user login through domain?

Thanks in advance for the help.

mypass

Comment

Probably, your client hasn't access to the batch file, saved in C:\ at server, therefore your script not run on client machine.
        Try to save script on share folder, in which client has access, with netwok path, like \\server\share\scr.bat (not c:\Share\scr.bat)
        Last edited by Anton.Makrushin; 13th October 2009, 13:44.

Comment

Working...
        X