Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 - if Standby -time > 5min, Server doesn't fall asleep

Hello all,

my Problem is, that i want my Windows Server 2003 to switch into Standby after some time x, to save energy.
    It will wake up on ping or some other request.

If the Standby-time is smaller than 5 min. - then it works fine,
    but if the time is > 5 min. - the Server doesn't fall asleep!

First I thought something pings the Server from the network, so i separated the Server from the network,
    but standby still doesn't work.

Then i stopped the "task-planer" service, so Windows can't start any hidden work,
    but something seems to reset the idle counter.

Do someone know, which processes or events can reset the idle counter, and how to disable them?

Re: Windows Server 2003 - if Standby -time > 5min, Server doesn't fall asleep

Sorry, Standby is not available on servers only Workstations. Servers are designed to be available 24/7, workstations do not need to be on all the time, so they can go to sleep.

Comment

Lostie,
      I don't clearly understand how you want to schedule standby, but I'm going to assume on idle or something similar. Regardless, I think you'll the following would be able to suit your needs.

Create a scheduled task to run as administrator. The scheduled task should run the following:

RUNDLL32.EXE PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState

For this to work, make sure you have hibernate off, otherwise it will hibernate.

This is exactly the method described in this link except, it avoids creating the batch file:
      http://www.marksanborn.net/howto/aut...your-computer/

Comment

I'd leave the server as it is if i were you.

There was a thread about something similar to a couple of weeks ago and the concensous was to elave the server turned on at all times.

Couple of issues i can see with your scenario are

1. Resuming from standy. This will take time and users will get annoyed by this.
        2. User invariably have docs open in the background that have been changed and need saved but can't because of the time it takes to resume from standy to do so.

There will no doubt be more but these are the ones i can think of now.

Comment

Thnx all,

I really know WHY I want my server to go into standby,

for those, who are curious - its my private server, where i have my data and my music on, so I can play it on other devices, or reach it from the internet.
          I'm the only user, so nobody will be annoyed, if the server goes into standby after 30min. of inactivity.
          Waking up is not a problem, waking up is something about 5 sec.

@pjhutch standby is available on W2K3 through : Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Power Options

The are no Problems, if I configure the Server to switch into Standby after 3min.
          If it is more than 3 min. Server doesn't go into Standby, even if it's separated from Network, so i think something resets the inactivity counter in Windows.
          I would really like to know - what?

Comment

Hello HotDay2222,

this method wouldn't work, because the Server should go into Standby after 30min. inactivity. It will wake up on every signal/Ping through Wake Up LAN.
            Scheduling doesn't follow inactivity counter,
            but thnx for the attempt to help me!

Originally posted by HotDay2222 View Post
            Lostie,
            I don't clearly understand how you want to schedule standby, but I'm going to assume on idle or something similar. Regardless, I think you'll the following would be able to suit your needs.

Create a scheduled task to run as administrator. The scheduled task should run the following:

RUNDLL32.EXE PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState

For this to work, make sure you have hibernate off, otherwise it will hibernate.

This is exactly the method described in this link except, it avoids creating the batch file:
            http://www.marksanborn.net/howto/aut...your-computer/

Comment

I can't get this to work. I also have a small Windows 2003 server with no clients, just used for testing.

I want it to go standby if not used for X minutes.

I don't even have the option "Performance and maintenaince" in the control panel, and when I try to use the rundll32 command given above the system doesn't go in standby (nor is there any error, so I suppose the command does run - but without effect).

Is this only possible with certain versions and/or SPs of Windows 2003 servers?

Comment

Working...
              X