Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a computer lab

Hi and thanks for ur time.

I have been given a very bad network to fix.

It has a class A addressing scheme and the modem does DNS as well as DHCP.

I have a server 2003 box setup but i am not sure hot to configure my DNS. I did add records for the modem and my DC. But some nslookups return unknown.

I am thinking of using server 2008. Is there any advice. I am so tired of reading all the stuff out there. I really want to setup my lab and then replicate this onto the entire network..

Could you help me pls am i asking the rite questions?

Re: Setting up a computer lab

if it was me, I'd set up an Active Directory domain, and let the 2008 server do DNS and DHCP.

I'd have a look at the 70-640 and 70-642 training manuals, as they'd cover almost everything i needed to do in this scenario.

I'd evaluate whether or not the Class A network was required.

I'd investigate the router to establish if it offered the appropriate levels of control. I'd turn off dhcp and dns on the router.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      I'd turn off dhcp and dns on the router.
      I'd leave DNS on the router and set it as a forwarder on your 2008 DNS. Then configure the clients to have the 2008 DNS as their primary.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

If you have a 2003 Server already setup then DCPROMO it. Stay away from 2008 unless you have the hardware to run it. Also, Server 2003 is a lot like XP whereas Server 2008 is more like Vista. If you are experienced with XP and not with Vista, then that is another reason to stay with Server 2003.

How many workstations do you have on this network?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
          I'd leave DNS on the router and set it as a forwarder on your 2008 DNS. Then configure the clients to have the 2008 DNS as their primary.
          probably a good suggestion
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

hello everyone jus have some pointers for readers of this post.

1 i fixed my issues n i am back on track....Yah ME!

2 plan to install Net Control-control and moniter pc

3 plan to install COmodo anti-virus

4 plant to install Windows SteadyState - sanbox the OS

I am looking for a gud *free* library catalogue software. andy ideas

Comment

Hi,

1-Do you mind sharing with us how you did fix the issues related to the original query.
              2- I suggest you create a new thread for you library catalog query. (Before any of the Mods force you to do so (Not mentioning any names)
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
              X