No announcement yet.

Can't join domain but finding DC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't join domain but finding DC

I am trying to get my BDC back on the domain. I had to do a forceremoval of its bdc status and now I can't get it to join the domain. I cleaned up the meta data on the PDC as the site here suggested. That seemed to work fine.

Now that that is done I am trying to get the win2k3 server to join the domain again. It appears to be finding the dc but I am not getting an error as to why it can't join. Any help would be apprecaiated. Here is the message I get when trying to join:

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain brown.local:

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.brown.local

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Re: Can't join domain but finding DC

got it! I did a dcdiag on the dc and found that the netlogon service was paused for some reason. Once I restarted it everything worked as expected.

Re: Can't join domain but finding DC

Glad yo solved it and thanks for posting back!
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"