Problem with windows VPN over wireless connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with windows VPN over wireless connection

I have Windows 2003 configured as VPN server, and for so many years it has worked good, this vpn server is configured to use our internal DHCP server to lease IP to VPN clients,

Now what happens is that whenever my users use wireless router from their home they can not connect to my VPN server, but if they use wire on the same router they can connect to my VPN server, after lot of research I have not able to figure out what is going on,

It happens on all the diff. make routers dlink, netgear, trendnet etc...

I had even try to set security on the router to none,

Please help!
    Last edited by Yantra; 29th September 2009, 18:46.

Re: Problem with windows VPN over wireless connection

Sorry Mods, I have accidentally created this case in AD area please move it to Win2003 or appropriate area.

Thanks.

Bhavesh

Comment

Moved to Server 03
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian

Comment

Not sure if this is relevant but is the VPN connection tied to a specific NIC card...

Comment

Code:
            Not sure if this is relevant but is the VPN connection tied to a specific NIC card...
            Thanks wullieb1, how do I make sure this on the client's vpn connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Yantra View Post
              Code:
              Thanks wullieb1, how do I make sure this on the client's vpn connection?
              I've just checked this by creating a windows VPN connection on my machine and it is NOT card specific.

Is the wireless network on the same network segment as the wired network???

Are there any specific firewall rules setup for the user to get access to the VPN from the network??

Comment

Originally posted by Wullieb1
                Is the wireless network on the same network segment as the wired network???
                My company is in Brampton canada and user connect from different places in US and Canada.

basically when users go home and connect to their computer to the internet using wired connection to their home based router, it works fine but when they uses wireless connection to same home based router they can not connect to VPN server at my company location, they can connect to the internet in both situation.

Originally posted by Wullieb1
                Are there any specific firewall rules setup for the user to get access to the VPN from the network??
                No specific rule setup, I assume if they are able to connect from their home using wired connection they should be able to connect with the wireless connection,
                Last edited by biggles77; 1st October 2009, 15:32. Reason: Changed CODE to QUOTE

Comment

I would reckon that to be the case also.

What OS are your clients using???

From memory Vista might ask for a connection type and maybe they've hit the wrong type and its restricitng traffic.

Any firewall's in place, hardware or software wise???

Comment

They are using XP OS, and we are currently using Sonicwall NSA 240 as a firewall,

Comment

Look into using the Sonicwall Global VPN CLient instead of the Windows one.

Does the NSA 240 have the SSL capabilites built in???

Comment

Working...
                      X