Files created by admins not accessible in users' My Docs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Files created by admins not accessible in users' My Docs

At our school district, student users get their own home folder. Teachers are used to copying files into student folders for them to work with. Last year we used Home Folders configured in AD, but this year we are using GPO My Documents Redirection to create the folders. We have XP SP3 clients and our file server is Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 .

When a file is copied to or created in a folder by a user other than the assigned owner of the folder (the student), it becomes owned by not the folder owner, but by Administrators, and the file is not accessible by the user who owns the folder. For example, if I create a new text document in Joe User's redirected My Documents folder, he can't access it. If I copy the file from my computer to the folder it is still not accessible.

We are using a My Documents redirection policy, set to "Basic, Redirect everyone's folder to the same location" and then "Create a folder for each user under the root path." "Grant the user exclusive rights to My Documents" is unchecked.

On the root path (\\intranet\index\student\home\2012), the permissions are

SYSTEM - Full Control, This folder, subfolders and files
    SERVER\Administrators - Full Control, This folder, Subfolders and files
    CREATOR OWNER - Full Control, Subfolders and files only
    Global CSD Students - List Folder/Read Data, Create Folders/Append Data, This folder only
    Student Home Modify - Modify, This folder subfolders and files

Share permissions are Domain Users - Full Control

The files (when created by a user other than the folder owner) get these permissions:

Administrators - Full Control
    Student Home Modify - Modify
    SYSTEM - Full Control

Files created by the user who owns the folder have those same permissions, except they are also listed with full control.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought more information is better than not enough.

Joel

Re: Files created by admins not accessible in users' My Docs

Why is a "grant user..." unchecked?
    The chase is better than the catch

Comment

Re: Files created by admins not accessible in users' My Docs

Because we don't want to grant the user exclusive rights to the folder (we don't want windows to remove the inherited permissions).

Comment

Working...
      X