Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Home Server primary Partition question

Hi,

I am looking at a way of centralising all my home digital media.And I like the idea of easy expansion.As I understand it,Windows Home Server will allow me to have multiple disks and easily remove and add disks while keeping my data. It also has the ability to keep my data safe even if one of my Hardisk fails. And that multiple drives are seen as one big disk.

I understand that when I install WHS on my primary drive it makes a 20GB partition for the OS.And that you do not get a choice in this.

"In a single hard-drive system, Windows Home Server is configured with a 20-gigabyte system partition for the Windows Home Server operating system, and the remainder of the primary hard drive is allocated to the primary data partition. Each subsequent (or secondary) hard drive is logically added to the data partition. It appears to the user as one large hard drive; however, these drives are considered to be part of the secondary data partition. In reality, your home server consists of multiple hard drives of varying sizes.The primary data partition in a home server should be as large as possible."

My Question is just to clairify.

I have 4 1TB drives that I will be using for storage. And I have a 160GB Drive that I was thinking for using for the WHS OS.

Would this be the correct method to use. Or would it be better to use one of the 1TB drives for the OS allowing a bigger primary partition?

I apologise if this seems a simple question but this WHS is all new to me and I would like to get the initial configuration correct.

Also am I right in thinking that when I add the drives to the system they cannot have any data on them? I currently have 3 of the 1TB full.So I am guessing that I need to copy this data to an external before hand?

Many thanks

easyrider
    [email protected] 3.8ghz/Asus Maximus/8800GTS 512 MB/Ballistix 4GIG 1066 mhz/17443 3D Marks 06

Re: Windows Home Server primary Partition question

Well i've used a 250gb for my WHS install and 2 x 500gb drives for data, but it still only uses 20gb partition on the 250gb, then adds the rest to the data partition, thus effectively giving me 1.23Tb of storage (1,250Gb - 20Gb).
    So asaik there's no specific need to use a 1TB drive for your install.

You are also correct in thinking that any drives added to the partition will automatically wipe any existing data off the drives when adding them in.

Comment

It worries me that they only seem to know about spanned drives so no redundancy
      If your server supports hardware RAID 5, I would consider a 3TB array with the 4 drives so one can fail without data loss
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by k.jacko View Post
        Well i've used a 250gb for my WHS install and 2 x 500gb drives for data, but it still only uses 20gb partition on the 250gb, then adds the rest to the data partition, thus effectively giving me 1.23Tb of storage (1,250Gb - 20Gb).
        So asaik there's no specific need to use a 1TB drive for your install.

You are also correct in thinking that any drives added to the partition will automatically wipe any existing data off the drives when adding them in.
        Whats confusing me is the difference between the Primary and secondary data partition...

WHS usues 20-gigabyte system partition for the Windows Home Server operating system, and the remainder of the primary hard drive is allocated to the primary data partition.

Add other disks and these are seen as the secondary partition...

If I use a 160GB system drive then I have 20 GB for OS and by the sounds of it the 140GB left on the same drive will be used as the primary partition. Will this be big enough to store the tombstone data files?

As the other TB drives are the secondary data partitions by the sounds of it.Its all so confusing..
        [email protected] 3.8ghz/Asus Maximus/8800GTS 512 MB/Ballistix 4GIG 1066 mhz/17443 3D Marks 06

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          It worries me that they only seem to know about spanned drives so no redundancy
          If your server supports hardware RAID 5, I would consider a 3TB array with the 4 drives so one can fail without data loss

But what happens when I want to add more storage? I have to add another disk to the array and rebuild. With WHS server I can just keep adding disks...

Microsoft claim: Windows Home Server Drive Extender is different than and more powerful than a redundant array of independent disks (RAID) in several ways:

• You can use any hard drive, any time. You are not restricted to adding more hard drives of the same type and size. When you want to grow your home server storage, you can buy and add any hard drive you like.
          • Internal and external hard drives can be used to grow your storage. No space in your home computer case? No problem—plug in one or more hard drives of your choice.
          • Drive removal is easy. After you have had your home server for awhile, you may want to remove older, smaller hard drives and add new, larger hard drives so that you can store more files.

Windows Home Server Drive Extender offers the following benefits for storage solutions. Some of the benefits are:
          · Allows the seamless addition of more hard drives
          As you add more hard drives to your home server, they are treated as a single large pool of available storage space. You no longer need to deal with drive letters (such as E:, F:, and G: ) because you can add more hard drives.
          ·Works with internal and external hard drives
          You can add internal or external (for example, USB 2.0 or FireWire) hard drives to your home server to increase the available storage.
          ·Shared Folder Duplication
          Windows Home Server Drive Extender supports reliability by duplicating designated shared folders. Important data is stored on separate hard drives, which provides protection against hard-drive failure. Duplication is configurable for every shared folder—so a shared folder can have multiple copies with each copy stored on a separate hard drive.
          ·Makes hard drives and their content easy to move
          It is easy to remove outdated hard drives. You can store the content on other hard drives in the system and remove old or small hard drives.

It seems to have everything I need....

Comment

I thought this forum had microsoft software experts?

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
              I thought this forum had microsoft software experts?

Most of us are with proper Server OS's not the XP OS rebadged as Home Server

Comment

easyrider,
                you've answered your own question mate. It does do what it says in your post.
                I'm really pleased with my WHS setup, with its fairly intelligent non-raid array. You could liken it to JBOD i guess, but there is some redundancy built in and its very configurable.
                Also WHS does not like/support RAID.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                  Most of us are with proper Server OS's not the XP OS rebadged as Home Server

WHS is based on Server 2003 is it not?

Comment

+1.

You elitist wullieb1

Comment

Still though WHS is a different product.
                      This might give you the answers you need.
                      http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1146463

Personally for home usage I prefer Qnap boxes which can extend their volumes.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

No idea m8.

I haven't ever looked at the product as its for home systems and i work in a corporate enviornment.

Comment

Originally posted by k.jacko View Post
                          You elitist wullieb1
                          Nope certainly am not.

And to answer your question yes it is based on Server 2003 Service Pack 2.

Being based on an OS doesn't mean it's the same os. The code base will be the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X