Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Browser Problems

Hi.

Now that i have found this place i am going to rape your guys brains.

We have three sites country wide connected via a VPN. Across this VPN we have active directory running on the 3 servers. All servers are running 2000 server std edition.

Lately i have been getting an event ID 8003 and it gives me the following.

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer Test-NB that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{721499B9-3CF2-45C. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

I get this on a few of the other pc's as well, the other pc's are a mixture of 2000 pro and xp pro that i get the errors in their event viewers.

Is this a major issue? Everything i try and find on the internet is not helping me solve this issue.

Does the above problem effect me seeing all the PC's on the network under my network places?

disable master browser http://cms.simons-rock.edu/faq_by_subtopic/node138.html
    Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
    HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
    the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

WINS and More

Each domain use it own Master Browser (Usually the PDC Emulator).
      There UDP broadcast from one site to another:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q135464/

Result: Extra load on your network.

Resolution: 1. Setup in each site it own WINS server + configure the server and clients in each site to use it.
      2. Configure pull/push relationship from each WINS to another WINS server.
      3. Block in the firewall unwanted traffic (like UDP Broadcasts: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=826852 )
      4. Verity corrects DNS resolution.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...f_imp_NSOI.asp

Regards,

Yuval
      Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Ahh once again shai, you are on the mark my friend.

Thanks very much this will eliviate a few headaches.

Comment

OK so shoot me in the foot if what i want to do is wrong.

I have organizational units for each branch and there within they have there logon scripts etc etc... Could i just disable the service in the policy?

Comment

read this description http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001
            Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
            HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
            the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

Originally posted by bwebber
              OK so shoot me in the foot if what i want to do is wrong.

I have organizational units for each branch and there within they have there logon scripts etc etc... Could i just disable the service in the policy?
              Disabling the service will effectively kill Network Neighbourhood, if that is what you want. Doing it from the logonscript is not very nice, since that requirers admin priviliges and only works when the user actually logs on.

Better to do it properly with the appropriate computer policy, applying to computer accounts of course. It will require a reboot to take effect.

Comment

OK kewl. Thanks to everyone for their help i really appreciate it.

Comment

I have the same problem too except I only have 1 AD domain with 2 DCs. In the event log, I get many 8003 events.

Event Type: Error
                  Event Source: MRxSmb
                  Event Category: None
                  Event ID: 8003
                  Date: 7/27/2005
                  Time: 1:26:03 PM
                  User: N/A
                  Computer: Domain Controller
                  Description:
                  The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer XPPRO that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{DDD4D919-A412-48DA-A11. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
                  Data:
                  0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 4e 00 ......N.
                  0008: 00 00 00 00 43 1f 00 c0 ....C..À
                  0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
                  0018: 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
                  0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

I have tons of events coming from different workstations/servers

any ideas?

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Just another quickie.

On your XP clients do they have SP2 installed??

If so disable the XP firewall as this also causes master browser issues.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                        Just another quickie.

All XP clients have SP2 installed and I have Xp firewall disabled with a GPO

Comment

Originally posted by Daveyd123
                          Just another quickie.

Is you GPO working properly??

Personally i ran a small script on each machine which set the status of the firewall to be disabled and then stopped the service.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveyd123
                            Just another quickie.

Is you GPO working properly??

Personally i ran a small script on each machine which set the status of the firewall to be disabled and then stopped the service.

Yes...I have verified this multiple times when connecting to workstations. It is telling me that is the Firewall is off and is controlled by Group Policy.

I still am now getting multiple error messages in my Domain Controller (PDC) log that various servers and workstations are forcing elections...

Event Type: Error
                            Event Source: MRxSmb
                            Event Category: None
                            Event ID: 8003
                            Date: 8/4/2005
                            Time: 2:46:08 AM
                            User: N/A
                            Computer: DOMAIN CONTROLLER
                            Description:
                            The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer SERVER that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{DDD4D919-A412-48DA-A1. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
                            Data:
                            0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 4e 00 ......N.
                            0008: 00 00 00 00 43 1f 00 c0 ....C..À
                            0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
                            0018: b6 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 .......
                            0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Comment

There is a registry setting that you can apply to your machines to tell it NOT to be a master browser.

Browse to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Par ameters

Edit the MaintainServerList to be No.

Set the MaintainServerList entry to No on computers that are frequently turned off or removed from the network, such as portable computers. This ensures that a browse server remains available, helps to reduce browser elections, and reduces network overhead caused by a browser. Disabling browsing on client computers also reduces the network overhead that results from browser announcements.

Please note that i have not tried this and would suggest that you TEST, TEST, TEST BEFORE going live on your network.

Comment

Working...
                              X