PE2600 OEM Win2K to Win2003K upgrade in situ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PE2600 OEM Win2K to Win2003K upgrade in situ

Is it possible to carry out the above mentioned upgrade. I still have 2 member servers in a domain that includes 2008 DCs one of which is a file server and one of which has Exchange 2003 installed. I wish to upgrade both of these servers and have purchased MS Open licences for 2008 with downgrade rights.

1) will the Open licenced copy of Windows 2003 R2 allow me to upgrade the Dell OEM copy of Windows 2000 Server standard?

2) How do I manage the issue that the PERC4D/i RAID array requires a fresh version of the drivers for Windows 2003?

It is so long since I have carried out an in situ upgrade that I cannot remember whether the setup offers the "F6" screen when running it from within Windows.

Thanks

Chris

Re: PE2600 OEM Win2K to Win2003K upgrade in situ

You could integrate the drivers into the CD...

In any case, I would be inclined to perform a clean installation. What benefits does an upgrade offer, other than the time saved by not having to reinstall services etc? Hopefully your system is thoroughly documented to the point where it shouldn't take too long to do so.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Since the first server is my main file server with nearly 2 million files in 10 different shares, each with different sets of permissions, I was really trying to avoid this as I did not want to have to recreate all the permissions on the shares/files.

The second server is our one and only Exchange server and I have heavily customised it as I have butchered the configuration so as to enable "Push Email" and Outlook Web Access on one server.I really did not want to "break" that either.

I shall obviously back everything up, but would have really preferred to do a swing upgrade, but do not have any spare hardware that I could do this with.

The file shares are actually on a Dell-EMC CX300, and one of the things I had considered but am not certain that it would work was to trespass the LUNs owned by this server with another similar box, upgrade this server and then trespass them back again. I am not certain how this can be done without placing the data in jeopardy.

Chris

Comment

Not saying it can't be done, just that you should always evaluate the options and the benefits of each. And in your case... yeah that would be a pain to have to setup again. You could possibly migrate the data off the server to another using robocopy which can copy the permissions too, but that assumes you have another server with sufficient space...

Multiple backups before you proceed, just in case are your servers on a UPS?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

All the data is on a SAN, I would swap the LUNs to a backup server if I was certain that I could do it without screwing all the security on the files and folders.

However whilst I can set up LUNs, storage groups and all the usual management of the SAN I am not confident in my ability to swap LUNs to another server without deleting the data or screwing it up.

I have a lower powered PE2600 which acts as a development and backup SQL server, that at a push could also act as the file server for a day whilst I rebuilt the file server. However I don't know enough about SANs to know whether I could switch the LUNs over, rebuild the old server and switch them back without losing any data or permissions.

Chris

Comment

Look at the SAN documentation and discuss with the manufacturer. You may also find forums or newsgroups dedicated to the manufacturer's products where you could get more specific advice.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
            X