No announcement yet.

Home PC as Domain Controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home PC as Domain Controller

I need to set up my home pc as a Domain Controller to do some SQL Server training.

There are no other PCs for it to connect to.

The PC has a fresh install of W2k Server and a SIS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter which has not been configured.

I know very little about how to set up the pc as a domain controller and any help will be appreciated.

Got SP4 on that box?

Then create the DC by running dcpromo (start -> run -> dcpromo). Accept all defaults. Should work on a default (clean) install.

After completion and reboot, use the tool "active directory users & computers" to manage user accounts.

There you are, the crash course on Active Directory!

Thanks for the response.

I tried dcpromo first without SP4 (internet is down at the moment) and it didn't work. I think the error message said that it was unable to connect to DNS.

Does SP4 make a difference?

Also do I need to configure the network card first as it's status is currently disconnected?

Let me see if i can help out.

I have noticed that your network card must be active before it will allow you to run dcpromo. So what i do is plug a network cable in and plug it into a hub that is on or a switch for that matter of fact just so that the card is active. Then run dcpromo. That should sort it out.

Let us know how it goes.

Confirmed, you need a NIC with link. Sticking it into a hub will do. You don't need an internet connection. Alternatively, install the loopback adapter, allowing you to run dcpromo without any (physical) NIC.

I would also install and configure DNS prior to DCPROMO and remember to point your server to itself for DNS resolution.

I would install DNS first yes, but let DCPROMO configure it.
              Server 2000 MCP
              Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Originally posted by tonyyeb
                I would install DNS first yes, but let DCPROMO configure it.
                Each to there own m8. I never have any probs installing and configuring DNS.

Doesn't really matter though.