WHS backup feature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHS backup feature

What other MS Server product provides the same type of backup solution provided in Windows Home Server?

It seems to be an image based backup that does differentials each day.
    Is that right?
    Last edited by Davidwtsn; 30th September 2009, 04:20.

Re: WHS backup feature

Anyone have an idea?

Comment

Hi,

WHS backup isn't image-based. When you go through the backup settings for each client on the WHS console, it clearly shows you what will and won't be backed up and you get the option to 'exclude' certain things from the backup. That isn't representative of 'image-based' backup.
      You couldn't resurrrect a pc from scratch with the backup WHS does.

So, i'm not sure how that changes/affects your initial question.

I think PP3 on WHS support image-based backup for win7 clients, but that would need to be confirmed.

Comment

It is indeed an image based.
        The backups are done at the cluster level rather than file level also using the Single instance storage technology to avoid dublications.

To restore individual items from a previous backup stored on the home server, a virtual volume driver is loaded on the home computer. This allows a previous image of a hard drive to be mounted, as if it were a read-only volume, across the home network. This driver opens a connection to the home server, and it receives the relevant clusters from the home server to build a virtual view into what a given hard drive looked like on a given day. The read-only volume is displayed in Windows Explorer where a user can drag the files and folders that they want to restore to the Windows Desktop of the home computer they are using
        http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...d_Restore.docx
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

oh....ok.

I was (and i'm not sure if the OP was thinking the same) thinking of image-based as in, could you use it to bless a brand new hdd with an existing setup should your exsiting hdd break.

Sorry if i caused any confusion.

Comment

No problems K.jacko, "collaborative learning" is the main aim of the forums.

What you thought is exactly what WHS backup allows you to do. If a hard drive packs in and is replaced you can restore the previous PC backup image on it.

http://www.whshelp.com/articles/WHS%...ve%20fails.htm
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Great link, thanks for that.

I guess i didn't think it was image-based as it backed up my win7 pc in 2mins

I used to use Acronis to do an image of a new build pc and it would take ages and a lot more storage space than what WHS does.

Live and learn

Comment

Acronis is similar to the WHS backup.
                Just as with WHS, after you've done the initial backup in Acronis, the subsequent backup's are just a differential or incremental. So they just backup any new files or changes since the last backup.

I guess what I'm really wondering is, what client backup options are included in Server 2008?
                I remember attending a Microsoft TechNet session a few years ago and they demoed a Server 2008 technology that backed up clients and subsequent backups were just a delta of changes made within files along with new files.

Any idea if that made it into the final product?

Comment

Working...
                X