X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client Cannot Connect to Internet when DC is Off

Setup
    • Windows Server R2 2003 SP2

• Only 1 server acting as the only Domain Controller and DNS server + 3 Win XP clients.
    • Wireless router acts as DHCP.

Problem
    Clients cannot connect to internet when domain controller is turned off (I turn it off to conserve energy, but other people are sometimes still using client computers)

I think this has to do with the fact that each client's computer has the server's IP address as their DNS address, so when that goes off then the internet also goes off.
    However, if I do no point each client's DNS to the server, then user log on/offs become extremely slow.

Looking for some ideas on how to resolve this issue.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Client Cannot Connect to Internet when DC is Off

It's not an issue that needs to be resolved in the sense that it's not a bug causing the problem, it's your configuration that's causing the problem. It's behaving exactly as expected as a result of what you're doing.

The DC needs to be turned on in order for DNS resolution on the clients to work properly. Furthermore, when you switch the client DNS away from the DC the clients can no longer communicate with the DC for AD communication and it causes a logon/logoff problem.

What you should do is point the clients at the DC for DNS and leave them that way and don't turn off your DC.
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 26th September 2009, 00:59.

Comment

So my "problem" has no solution then
      Assumed so but was hoping for a smarter dude to tell me otherwise.

Anyhow, thanks for the info.

Comment

alternately - yo ucould have a "secondary" dns server being the router....
        then after the first times out, it'll use the second.
        still a delay, but it'll work..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by HotDay2222 View Post

HotDay2222, the fact that I'm not smart enough to give you the answer you're seeking is irrelevant to the fact that the "problem" you're having is not a "problem". It's a condition that is occurring as a result of your actions. Shutting down your DC will cause your clients to not be able to resolve DNS records. Pointing your clients to an external DNS server will cause the clients to have internal communication problems with the DC, on which they rely. Any reasonably astute system administrator would have known this beforehand and wouldn't have come here looking for an answer to such a stupid question that's obviously related to their own ineptitude.

Insulting me because I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear doesn't change the fact that you're an ass-hat and if I had my way you would be banned from this site and then you could go troll the inter-webs for an answer somewhere else. Good luck with your "problem", jerk.

My recommendation would be that you give up your dreams of being an IT person and go back to something you're more suited for, like underwear inspector, assistant afternoon shift manager at Applebee's, or sanitation engineering.

You're welcome

Comment

Every problem has a solution. Theoretically, it may be possible to work some kind solution so that you can shut down your DC and still have relatively normal operations for clients. Maybe someone could create some kind of custom network driver for the client PCs that forges a response from a DC to a authentication request after certain hours so that the user logs on immediately without waiting for the DC. Maybe you could make a custom script that automatically reassigned network properties after a certain time so they get DNS from a different source. However, those things are absurdly impractical. SysAdmins, as a general rule, are not concerned with the impractical. Certainly not the realm of absurd impracticality. So, never let it be said that there is not a solution to the problem. There is always a solution. However, those solutions have varying levels of practicality and probability of being constructed before our sun turns into a red giant.

The practical problem is not that the users cannot reach the internet or that their logon times are unacceptably high, but rather that a device/system is not being used in its intended manner.

Solution 1: Don't turn off the DC.
            Solution 2: If saving a few hundred watts is truly useful, tell your users to stop whining.
            Solution 3: Get a developer to come around, pay him unnecessary amounts of cash and tell him to glue something together that will make the whole office happy.

Take your pick!

Can't we all just... get along?
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Nonapeptie: Ha ha ha. I like the optimistic attitude of every problem has a solution, and yes, you are correct - it's a matter of feasibility. Thank you.

Joeqwerty: I made a grammar mistake - my fault. Please allow me to rephrase the sentence that I believe offended you.

Assumed so but was hoping for the smarter dudes to tell me otherwise. (bold are the changes I made).

Who knew mixing definite and indefinite articles could cause so much trouble?

I appreciate what you guys and this site does for the IT community and believe it's the best. So there is no way I would ever be offending, espeically after the countless time you(plural) have all helped me, which I'm grateful for.

PS: I actually proof read this post 3 times and still something is wrong
              Last edited by HotDay2222; 26th September 2009, 22:18.

Comment

Nonapeptie: Ha ha ha. I like the optimistic attitude of every problem has a solution, and yes, you are correct - it's a matter of feasibility. Thank you.

Joeqwerty: I made a grammar mistake - my fault. Please allow me to rephrase the sentence that I believe offended you.

Assumed so but was hoping for the smarter dudes to tell me otherwise. (bold are the changes I made).

Who knew mixing definite and indefinite articles could cause so much trouble?

I appreciate what you guys and this site does for the IT community and believe it's the best. So there is no way I would ever be offending, espeically after the countless time you(plural) have all helped me, which I'm grateful for.

PS: I actually proof read this post 3 times and still something is wrong
                It still seems like an insult to me. Maybe you should just leave any reference to smart dudes out of any future posts.

Comment

Thread is being watched and short term bans may be in order if this gets out of hand!

HotDay -- Why not cost out how much your DC costs to run 24/7/365 (as noted, normal for a DC) and compare against cost of time for staff not getting on the internet (note this may improve their productivity

Others -- please accept post #7 as an apology and stop making a capital case out of it
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can't belive no ones asked for some basics.

When you clients login what IP address details do they get???

What is the IP address of your server???

What do you have setup by way of a DNS server???

Why do you turn off your DC during working hours??? (If i done that i'd get sacked)

Comment

Wullieb - The router assigns IPs: Server always gets the reserved IP of 192.168.1.2, and the clients get the random IPs left over of 192.168.1.3-.255.

There is only 1 server with AD and DNS role.

All clients point to 192.168.1.2 for DNS (which by the way was annoying going around to each client machine and doing this).

DC was turned off during night-time to conserve energy; but one day Task Manager somehow failed to wake up server and I was not there to turn it on...so, no one had internet.
                      Trying to have backup plan / avoid situation again.

Comment

WHy not configure DHCP on the DC -- maybe with the Router as a backup DNS server?
                        That way at least web pages should come up
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

My point here is that this is an "alternate" configuration and one that would not be supported by Microsoft. Turning off your DC and\or pointing your internal clients to a DNS server other than the DC is going to leave you with clients that don't work properly, either for DNS resolution or for AD communication and access. If you must continue down this road then my suggestion is this:

Add the ip address of the router to the client machines as their secondary DNS server. That way when the DC is off they'll get DNS resolution from the router, albeit while having internal AD communication and access problems.

Comment

I just wouldn't turn off the server.

Realistically how much do you save per annum by turning off your server over night???

Then how much does it cost you in lost productivity because your server didn't come back online when it was supposed to??

I do believe that you'll find that the 2 do not match and the costs to lost production will outweigh the savings.

BTW to confirm with others you cannot access the internet because your DNS server is offline and you have no backup DNS. You would need an alternative, which can cause problems with logons for users.

Again in agreement with others get your DHCP server off the router and onto the DC.

Comment

Worth mentioning, and apologies if anyone has already pointed this out and I've not noticed - while you've obviously seen that users lose access to the Internet while the DNS server is down, you may also see that they lose access to internal resources such as shares and printers.

So I would have to agree - don't turn the DC off.
                              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                              X