what is DDNS and DNS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is DDNS and DNS

i read about DNS and almost i understand DNS but i didn't clear concept of DDNS. So pls provide me in detail.

Re: what is DDNS and DNS

Originally posted by aamir
    i read about DNS and almost i understand DNS but i didn't clear concept of DDNS. So pls provide me in detail.
    Ok...let's start out with the basics. DNS is Dynamic Name resoltuion for network hosts. Be that network you internal work/home network..or the Internet.
    What does that mean in English?
    Computers being the creatures that they are, they can only read numbers (not words). This makes us, the humans, life a little difficult when it comes time to find a computer on the Internet.
    Can you imagine trying to remember to type in 216.239.53.99 instead of www.google.com everytime you needed to search for something?
    So DNS was invented to perform this IP Address to Host name resolution for us.

The only difference between DNS and DDNS is that the latter has the ability to be Dynamically updated by the hosts (if they are Win2k or above).
    DDNS is only for internal networks. It is not out on the internet..this would cause complete Chaos.

Hope this clears things up for you.
    Iain Jones
    IT Manager
    Renascent Australia

Comment

DNS is Dynamic Name resoltuion for network hosts
      Iain, I am sure it's a typo, but in order not to confuse the original poster:
      DNS stands for Domain Name System.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
      X