Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client Take Long Time (5+ mins) to "Applying Personal Settings"

Setup

• Only 1 server acting as the only Domain Controller and DNS server + 3 Win XP clients.

• Network: Wireless Router acting as DHCP. Server obtains static IP from router; clients do not have static IP. At TCP/IP properties, server's DNS address points to server's static IP. Wireless connection strength is Excellent.
    • Settings: There are no roaming profiles or anything fancy. As soon as I installed active directory and set DNS settings, I connected clients to domain.

Problem

***Clients take long time to apply settings and log on.***

Initially clients would not join domain, but after research I found out I had to turn off server's firewall - did that. Now clients are able to join domain, but users take extremely long time (5+ mins) to log on. After entering user name/password it stays for a long time at "Applying Personal Settings." This doesn't occur only at the first log in; it also occurs in subsequent logins after the profile is created in the client.

I don't think this is due to wireless connection since the strength of connection is excellent. Also, the profile is local - there are no roaming profiles or anything that needs to be downloaded from server.

Any ideas?

Re: Client Take Long Time (5+ mins) to "Applying Personal Settings"

Routers do NOT provide Static IPs to a Server. They can however provide a Dynamic IP.

Servers should always have a Static IP whereas workstations should mostly (note I said mostly) be provided with a Dynamic IP provided by a DHCP Server that is installed on, in your case, the DC.

Check the DNS Server on your DC and make sure the DNS IP is pointing to the DC. DNS Forwarders can either point to the Router if it has the DNS Servers of your ISP or to the DNS IPs of your ISP. My guess is the DNS is not set right.

On the workstation once logged on, do an IPCONFIG /ALL and post the results back here.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Routers do NOT provide Static IPs to a Server. They can however provide a Dynamic IP.
      Ummm...I don't understand - I set the router to reserve the same IP address for the server.

Servers should always have a Static IP whereas workstations should mostly (note I said mostly) be provided with a Dynamic IP provided by a DHCP Server that is installed on, in your case, the DC.
      The server does not have DHCP role installed; it has AD and DNS. The router is handling IPs, which isn't much anyway...it just reserves 192.168.2 for server and the rest are free floating.

Check the DNS Server on your DC and make sure the DNS IP is pointing to the DC. DNS Forwarders can either point to the Router if it has the DNS Servers of your ISP or to the DNS IPs of your ISP.
      The server DNS at TCP/IP properties is set to point to itself - 192.168.1.2.

ipconfig /all - from one of the clients

DHCP enabled : yes
      autconfiguratin enabled: yes
      IP: 1921.168.1.4
      subnet: 255.255.255.0
      default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (this is the router's IP)
      DHCP server: 192.168.1.1 (this is router's IP)
      DNS Server: 192.168.1.1 (this is router's IP)

Comment

OK figured out the mistake.
        My client's DNS was pointing to router (192.168.1.1) instead of server (192.168.1.2).

Biggles, thanks for reminding me of ipconfig /all (oopss)

Comment

Working...
        X