Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server 2003 Shared Folders won't prompt for credentials for non domain users.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 Shared Folders won't prompt for credentials for non domain users.

We have two servers. Server1 is basically just a file server and Server2 is a file server, domain controller, active directory etc..

We have some machines that are not on the domain as well as some VPN users that are not on the domain as well. When these users navigate to shered folders on Server 1 (the basic file share server) they are prompted for a user name and password and assuming they respond correctly can gain access. On Server2 they are not prompted and unless i give security permission full access to "Everyone" they are blocked. I checked the machines for stored passwords but found that not to be the issue.

What settings should I be looking at?

Thanks

Re: Server 2003 Shared Folders won't prompt for credentials for non domain users.

Because Server2 is a domain controller, it does not have local user accounts
    You will need to create a domain user account for each non-domain user and get them to give those credentials when they access it
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Server 2003 Shared Folders won't prompt for credentials for non domain users.

Thanks Ossian, but the problem is that I don't get an opportunity to put in credentials because we get an immediate "access is denied" I tried setting up a domain account with the same user name and password as the non domain account and I gave it permission on the shared folder, but I still get the same results?

Comment

Working...
      X