Network Share credentials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Share credentials

So we have a network storage device that has multiple shares on it that everyone can connect to without having to enter credentials (personal drives, etc.) one of the shares (and only one) we would like to make the share prompt for credentials when you try to access this share. The share is not mapped so you have to browse to it via a UNC path.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
    Two things:
    1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
    2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Re: Network Share credentials

Have you looked at the documentation for the NAS? Does it say anything about share level security?

Comment

It is a server 2003 box actually. It is standard windows security.
      Two things:
      1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
      2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

Do you mean a NAS device? If so that will be dependant on the NAS devices feature set. Some are capable of integrating directly with AD and can leverage LDAP some of the more basic ones use local user accounts. If i were you id consult the user manual on the device to see its capablities.

Comment

Originally posted by Draenok View Post
          It is a server 2003 box actually. It is standard windows security.
          Ok only just saw this. Is AD present? If so you can lock the directory down with NTFS/Share permmisions.

Comment

It isn't a NAS, it is a SAN.
            Two things:

Comment

Originally posted by Draenok View Post
              It isn't a NAS, it is a SAN.
              Please clarify your precise setup and what it consists of. You said earlier it was a windows box? (JBOD maybe.. File server...) Now your saying its a SAN. Either way even if it is a SAN the LUN's are presented to the "servers" in question as direct attached storage. Assuming AD is present as i already said you can use access controls to lock them down by adjusting the permmisions accordingly.

Comment

Yes that though crossed my mind but was promptly discarded. The drive we are discussing holds multiple programs that the field techs use from the client's computers and accessing that drive is VERY useful. So my purpose in this is to get my field techs access to the drive without them having to log the local user off and then log on as themselves. If that makes sense. We like to be able to browse to this drive (no matter who is logged in), access certain programs and information etc.
                Two things:

Comment

I'm not talking about Windows credentials so my answer had nothing to do with the user that's logged on to the computer. Does the NAS have the ability for you to create a password protected share and specify what entity has access to said share?

For instance, our ReadyNAS has the ability to create local users and secure the shares based on those users.

Comment

Ok to clarify (and overshare probably) a bit. It is a Dell Server PE2950. Intel Xeon 3GHz with 4 GB RAM running Windows Storage Server 2003 X64. Functionally it is a front end windows file server box attached to a giant raid. It has no intrisic functions other than whatever is built into the Windows server 2003 OS. It doesn't do anything special at all. So for the purposes of my question consider it a Server 2003 file server with a funny name. =)

Thanks oh guru's of guru-dom!
                    Two things:

Comment

Well presumably it has the same capabilities as any other version of Windows, namely the NTFS file system, right? So how about setting up a new share and setting the Share and NTFS permissions so that only the techs can access it? They can access it via UNC path (\\servername\sharename) and will be prompted to provide credentials regardless of who they're logged in to the computer as (except if they're logged in as themselves, then they won't be prompted).

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                        Well presumably it has the same capabilities as any other version of Windows, namely the NTFS file system, right? So how about setting up a new share and setting the Share and NTFS permissions so that only the techs can access it? They can access it via UNC path (\\servername\sharename) and will be prompted to provide credentials regardless of who they're logged in to the computer as (except if they're logged in as themselves, then they won't be prompted).
                        Uhhh.... well that would be nice but from what I know (and I could definitely be wrong) it doesn't work that way. Windows uses the credentials of the person who is logged in only and will not ask (unless you try to access the admin$ share) at all even if the person is denied access. So a tech is on a comp with a user logged in, they go to a share that is restricted in any way only to the techs and they will not be asked for credentials, they will only get access denied. Which is the brunt of my question. Is there any way that you can force a share to ask for credentials all the time. So I can restrict the share to only my techs and allow them to access this drive via a UNC path without them having to manually map the drive every time (which is what we may end up doing). The only way (other than the admin$) that windows doesn't use the logged in users credentials is if there are none (i.e. not joined to said domain or logged in as a non-domain local user).

As it says below PLEASE correct me if I am wrong!!
                        Two things:

Comment

I believe that you are wrong (no offense intended). If you are logged on to a computer and try to access a UNC path that you don't have permissions to, windows will throw up a cedentials dialog box, where the tech could provide his credentials. Why don't you try it to confirm?

Comment

I am not offended however I have tested it extensively by both removing share and ntfs permissions. In every case the user receives a "access denied" message and no ability to enter different credentials. I just (out of curiosity) tried this on an actual Server 2k3 server on both hidden ($) and non hidden shares. It made no difference.
                            Two things:

Comment

That is weird because in my W2K3 environment it prompts me every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X