Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 203 Setup - Any good ???

hi guys,

i have finnaly purchased a server running server 2003 - very nicely provided from my school. - poweredge t100 is the server - for home use. my setup at the moment is -

Adsl - Server - Switch - to pc's & wireless router.

would you say this is a good setup ?

the server is used for backups and storing files ie. movies,music and photo's. - the wirless router is used for xbox 360's around house so can do media streaming.

the server is running avg as a trial - is there any better ones around ?

Macman.

Re: Server 203 Setup - Any good ???

It might be a "good" setup. What we don't know is what your intended usage of the server is...

If you're just planning to use it as a file server, then I'd suggest not also using it as the gateway, since you have a router to do that.

Regarding antivirus, as you will have seen when you searched the forum, this has been debated many times. Do some research into the various offerings around and select one that best fits your needs. In particular, look at independant ratings such as those by Virus Bulletin.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

hello

If you're just planning to use it as a file server
      yes im just going to do that.

then I'd suggest not also using it as the gateway, since you have a router to do that.
      so you suggest that i use this.

Adsl - router - switch - server&pcs ?

Macman

Comment

Yes. Properly configured, there shouldn't be (rather than wouldn't) a security implication to your current setup, but I've always been a fan of not complicating things.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

thank you very much for your help

Comment

for home use, I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with a T100, or a SC430 like I have.

Solid, stable. Expensive to upgrade, but you could always buy consumer parts if warranty is not a concern.

Your setup sounds good, and the revised plan is pretty much exactly what I have:

[modem] -- [linksys wrt54g] --- Server, wireless laptops, etc
            I've also got VMware server running, with a few guests on a separate subnet for other purposes..

my 430 has never missed a beat, and until I put a version of 2008 on there earlier this year, I was still evaluating the version of 2003 Server i installed back in 2005 when I got it.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yeah, i only chose the t100 because it was resonably low priced for at home.

Thanks for all the info !

Comment

Working...
              X