Should i convert to Dynamic Disk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i convert to Dynamic Disk

I have a windows 2003 server running our domain. I never thought about this while building the server initially. But noticed the server is configured with basic disks. I have the option to convert to dynamic. Should i do this?.

I have a server with 3 x146gb hard drives configured in a RAID 5 environment with a Perc 6i Scsi card.

I remember once a role i worked in had software raid on the windows servers and the disks configured as dynamic.

Should i configured the disk as a dynamic?. If so will it break the server?. At present its a Active directory/print/vpn server.

Re: Should i convert to Dynamic Disk

IMHO no
    Dynamic Disks, like Software RAID, are a poor man's alternative to true hardware RAID, which you already have
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Cheers for that

Comment

I have converted to dynamic disks several times and never had any issues!

**knock on wood **

Comment

Working...
        X