DNS entry for internal server NOT on Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS entry for internal server NOT on Domain

I have a new server that is in testing with an application on it. It is on a new domain of its own.

How do I make a DNS entry on our 2003 DC that will point to another internal server that is NOT on the 2003 Domain but on another domain internally?

I tried just creating a pointer in the subnet but that doesn't work.

I have ORL-DC-01 which is the main DC for "Orlando" domain. I want to create a dns entry on that DC of a new server DNV-APL-01 that is NOT on the "Orlando" domain but is located in the same location, just a different IP address.

I need users with DHCP and DNS from the Orlando domain to be able to resolve the name DNV-APL-01 so they can access it for testing applications.

Please help

Re: DNS entry for internal server NOT on Domain

Originally posted by macking View Post
    I tried just creating a pointer in the subnet but that doesn't work.
    What do you mean? Do you mean you created a PTR in the reverse lookup zone?

You need to create an A record in the forward lookup zone. If the standalone machine uses DHCP rather than a static IP, DHCP may do that for you.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Primary, Secondary or Sub Zone?

I made a PTF in the reverse lookup.

The standalone server doesn't pull from DHCP, it has it's own IP on a different subnet.

Thanks for your quick response

Comment

The standalone server doesn't pull from DHCP, it has it's own IP on a different subnet.
        Is routing setup to enable communication between the two subnets?

Primary, Secondary or Sub Zone?
        I would assume your zone is a primary zone.

I made a PTF in the reverse lookup.
        Worth doing too, but you need to create the A record. Forward lookup allows you to get the IP address for a given hostname. Reverse lookup requires you to already know the IP and tells you what hostname maps to it.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Is routing setup to enable communication between the two subnets?

Yes, routing is fine between the two of them.

I would assume your zone is a primary zone.

Typically my primary zones are for yahoo.com etc. but this is for DNV-APL-01 so do I drop the domain portion the .com?

Worth doing too, but you need to create the A record. Forward lookup allows you to get the IP address for a given hostname. Reverse lookup requires you to already know the IP and tells you what hostname maps to it.
          I have left the PTR record there, I just need to figure out how to get to where I can add the A record.

Comment

In the forward lookup zone for your domain, I would have thought...

For the sake of readability, can I suggest that when quoting someone and replying to them, you don't include your answer in the quote
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Sorry, I am still new to replying when quoting.

I managed to put the A record under our domain, it's a little odd looking because it shows DNV-APL-01.Orlando.net for the A record even though the server is not part of Orlando.net.

Resolved and thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X