Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2k3 TS - no licensing server

Hi all,
    i'm just about to add a 2nd terminal server into our network.
    However having checked TS1's TS licensing configs, it appears it cannot connect to the licensing server.....which actually died well over a year ago!
    So how come we're still working away on terminal services over a year later with no issues at all. No problems with people logging in, even though i believe we are vastly underlicensed as regards TS user calls.
    If i install the 2nd TS, then it will automatically look for a licensing server, won't find one, then i assume give us 120 days of temp licences before needing permanent ones.
    I'll be using USER cals not DEVICE cals.

So, when i add this 2nd TS into the mix, is it likely to screw up our whole network and ability to log into either TS due to it not finding a licensing server? Will it then jog TS1 memory into thinking "hang on...where IS the licensing server?" as currently it doesn't seem to care.

We are underlicensed and with the greatest of respect i'd appreciate answers from people offering advice, not the moral police commenting on such underlicensed issues.
    I'm more interested in knowing why its still working and what will happen when i put the 2nd TS on.
    We will sort out our licensing later.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Re: Server 2k3 TS - no licensing server

You need a licensing server for TS.
    If you lost your licenses, setup a new licensing server. Then contact Microsoft to re-activate the licenses.
    Since their is no license server available you get only the 120 grace period. I'm not sure what will happen with the other TS server, but it might getting screwed too.
    Personally I would fix the license server first before continuing any other further steps.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
    X