Certain windows clients slow log on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certain windows clients slow log on

We have 16 new IBM AJ8 machines in our Library. Today they are taking 20 minutes to log on. Hanging at the Applying User Profile stage. No roaming profiles. The older machines don't have an issue. Admins don't have the issue. I have looked through the scripts - only drives and maps are allocated. I have a student helping me, re-imaging one machine back to an eralier image to see if it's a clash with a windows/Java update or something. I'm scratching my head here on which way to go. Nothing in the server logs. DNS is good. The fact it's just the Student OU led me looking at Policy but nothing has been changed there. Is there anyway I can track this down? The server is running 2003 with latest updates and seems to be fine in the logs. Any clues much appreciated.

Re: Certain windows clients slow log on

Check your DNS settings on the clients.

Comment

I would add check complete TCP/IP settings.
      when users finnaly log in is there anything in logs on that stations?
      any offline files?
      The chase is better than the catch

Comment

According also to previous replies, I don't know if you have done it, but I usually setup the Preferred DNS Server of the LAN card with the IP of the Domain Controller. I had already have some delays if I keep it to be obtained automatically.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have checked the DNS. It appears that this issue might have multiple causes. At the moment, I suspect a switch problem is the main cause. Believe it or not, I don't have authority over the switches so I'm waiting. Meanwhile, other bad things are happening (see new post)

Comment

Also check and see if all the mapped drives are available. If one is not it may hang trying to attach to it.

Originally posted by pksupport View Post
            Thanks for the replies. I have checked the DNS. It appears that this issue might have multiple causes. At the moment, I suspect a switch problem is the main cause. Believe it or not, I don't have authority over the switches so I'm waiting. Meanwhile, other bad things are happening (see new post)

Comment

Working...
            X