Set date format by GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set date format by GPO

I want to standardize the date format for all my XP machines in my S2K3 domain.

From another forum it was suggested that I save the following to an .adm file and import to a GPO:

CLASS USER
    CATEGORY "Control panel"
    POLICY "date format"
    KEYNAME "Control Panel\International"
    PART "Choose short date format" DROPDOWNLIST
    REQUIRED
    VALUENAME sShortdate
    ITEMLIST
    NAME "TT.MM.JJJJ" VALUE "dd.MM.yyyy" DEFAULT
    NAME "TT.MM.JJ" VALUE "dd.MM.yy"
    END ITEMLIST
    END PART
    END POLICY
    END CATEGORY

I have never worked with a home-made adm file before, and I'm not sure that this is OK; if somebody with more knowledge could confirm?

Alternatively I could export the whole registry key from a suitably configured machine:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International
    to a reg file and call it from the users' logon script?

Also I'm not sure if this is Kosher?

Re: Set date format by GPO

FYI, MVP Yizhar Hurwitz has created a tool called RegToADM which can convert a REG file to an ADM. http://yizhar.mvps.org/

To be honest though, I tend to just stick to reg files - much less hassle.

In any case, that ADM looks fine, but standard practice always applies when trying something out.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks Gareth,

I'll try the reg file method!

Comment

On second thoughts, I've checked out Yizhar Hurwitz's tools, and they're very useful. The reg to adm converter is very simple, and this method doesn't require any user intervention to choose "Yes" to merge the reg file into the registry at logon.

Comment

Nor does importing a reg file. Maybe lookup regedit's command line switches
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
          X