How to remove administrative rights for domain user

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove administrative rights for domain user

I have a server running on windows 2003 and all my 62 clients run on windows XP.
    I recently created domain users for the server..

The problem is that the domain user can access the server when logged into their accounts.

When u type //Servername in the run window in the client it automatically opens without prompting for a password..

I searched numerous forums and the net and all solution have hit a dead end..

Plz anyone help on how to solve the above problem..

~~~~

Re: How to remove administrative rights for domain user

Sounds like you need to lock down the permissions on the server?

The 'best practice' is to allow authenticated users full access to the shares and then lock down with the ntfs perms.

Comment

That behaviour is to be expected. They gave their password when they logged in to their computer.

Is this a problem? If so, it's most likely because the permissions on your shares aren't set correctly, as has been stated.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I don't think you can deny access to that top-level share (\\servername), because things like the Shared Printers folder will appear there and as I recall the machines need read access to the NETLOGON share to run logon scripts. Or is that the sysvol share, I always get that one the wrong way round. So long as the permissions are set correctly on the actual shared folders then the users can't access anything from that level anyway.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
          machines need read access to the NETLOGON share to run logon scripts. Or is that the sysvol share
          Both

NETLOGON is the "legacy" folder for logon scripts. Scripts these days are more commonly (or so we're told) assigned via GPOs and stored along with the GPO in the relevant subfolder of SYSVOL.

NETLOGON however is also a subfolder of SYSVOL...

Cheers Microsoft, you do love to make things simple for us
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

And to confuse the issue more they make both NETLOGON and SYSVOL appear as top level shares.

I do long for the day when Microsoft finally stop trying to make everything "legacy compatible". At least they've stopped trying to tell everyone that you must have a WINS server in your network.
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Mmmhm.

Our system here is wonderfully legacy. We have 2008 R2 DCs handing out IP addresses to DOS 6.22 machines running on their original hardware. We have CNC machines in the factory that we can only talk to using NetBEUI. Working in IT here is like self-harming
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Lol, I thought I was bad. Last week the MD of one of our customers asked me if I could get files transferred off his ancient laptop. Which had a proprietry hard drive interface, no network card, a PCMCIA slot so old that no wireless card would fit it and a broken floppy drive.

Being a boy scout type I had a Null Modem cable though, so a bit of direct cable connection saved the day.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

And being a good boy scout, you dropped his craptop off a bridge?

I can't remember the last time I had to use a null modem cable for anything other than configuring switchgear
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                    And being a good boy scout, you dropped his craptop off a bridge?

I can't remember the last time I had to use a null modem cable for anything other than configuring switchgear
                    It was scheduled for "retirement" as soon as the files were off it. The guy was so attached to it I suspect he buried it in the garden rather than binning it.

I'd been configuring an HP Procurve recently, hence the Null Modem cable being in the bag.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

It wasn't one of the old "luggables" with a CRT in it, was it? I saw one of those once...

... in a museum...

Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                        It wasn't one of the old "luggables" with a CRT in it, was it? I saw one of those once...

... in a museum...

I'm glad to say not. I think it shipped with Windows 3.1 on it, and had been upgraded with ~30 floppy disks to Windows 95. It was huge though, and battery life was zero.
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X