Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC w/ AD needs to perform chdsk

Dear Sir's;

i have 1 DC w/ AD (Win2K3 R2 st), recently we suffer in a power outage in our area and my server (dc) shutdwon unexpectedly, and getting error msg:

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume DC.

DHCP service also not working. might other services un use that also affected.

But i cant just perform the task all my users will not authenticate and access other resources. and it might take hours/ it could be days i have 500GB.

Im thinking of add, additonal 2nd DC and replicate, but wasnt sure if i just i just need a dc so that users can continue to authenticate and access network resources while the main DC is offline.?

your expert advise/comments is very much appreciated.

thank you in advance,

Re: DC w/ AD needs to perform chdsk

Is this your only dc then?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
      Is this your only dc then?
      thanks for the reply, Yes this is the only dc.

Comment

When was the last backup taken before the corruption?

This failure is your excuse to ask management for a UPS. And preferably also a second DC (or at least for them to budget one in soon).

Basically, if you continue to run with a corrupt filesystem you run the risk of breaking things more. And I can imagine the lack of DHCP could be a bit of a headache.

A second DC can be added now. Make it a DNS server (AD-integrated zones, point itself to itself for DNS and update DHCP accordingly) and make it a Global Catalog. You can then take the first DC offline for maintenance. If chkdsk doesn't work, then treat it as a failed DC and follow the normal steps (search the forum if you don't know what they are).
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          When was the last backup taken before the corruption?

This failure is your excuse to ask management for a UPS. And preferably also a second DC (or at least for them to budget one in soon).

Basically, if you continue to run with a corrupt filesystem you run the risk of breaking things more. And I can imagine the lack of DHCP could be a bit of a headache.

A second DC can be added now. Make it a DNS server (AD-integrated zones, point itself to itself for DNS and update DHCP accordingly) and make it a Global Catalog. You can then take the first DC offline for maintenance. If chkdsk doesn't work, then treat it as a failed DC and follow the normal steps (search the forum if you don't know what they are).
          thank you for your reply.

Yea, right after the incident, i asked them to get ups right away but damaged has been done.

its been a two weeks now. as a temp solution for DHCP, i configure new in a different server to handle it and its working. if i make it AD-integrated, does this automatically replicated on main DC? or should i need to re-enter all and configure computers to migrate to the new domain?
          please advise

thank you.

Comment

DHCP can't be "AD-integrated" - you're thinking of DNS.

Promote the second server as an additional DC in the existing domain.

Do you mean it's been 2 weeks since you last backed up?
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

not dhcp to ad integ. Yes DNS.

Havent add 2nd DC yet:
              So Add additional DC replicate it then promote? if replication failed, does the main DC will be affected too?

thank you

i backed up the system state, can i use this to recover it?
              thanks again

Comment

Promoting it is the act of making it a DC. If replication fails it shouldn't affect the original DC - in that instance, your best bet is to wipe the server and restore it from the backup.

How old is the system state backup?
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Promoting it is the act of making it a DC. If replication fails it shouldn't affect the original DC - in that instance, your best bet is to wipe the server and restore it from the backup.

How old is the system state backup?
                  sorry, just making sure i understand your advise;

During setup, under server role, i need to select "additional domain controller for existing domain" ?

thank you so much.

i still have a system state backup before the outage, but its three weeks old.

Comment

I strongly suggest once everything is back up and running you take more frequent backups.

During setup, you proceed as normal. After setup has completed and Windows Server is installed, you run dcpromo and opt to add an additional DC to an existing domain.

A search of the site points you towards Daniel's article... http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

I strongly suggest once everything is back up and running you take more frequent backups.

During setup, you proceed as normal. After setup has completed and Windows Server is installed, you run dcpromo and opt to add an additional DC to an existing domain.

A search of the site points you towards Daniel's article... http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm
                      for sure!
                      thank you very much! ill let you know.

Comment

i finished adding the 2nd dc. looks ok. it copies all the files indicated on Step Step 3: Checking the AD installation.

except i got one warning from 2nd DC:

The Windows NT 4.0 or earlier replication checkpoint with the PDC emulator master was unsuccessful.

A full synchronization of the security accounts manager (SAM) database to domain controllers running Windows NT 4.0 and earlier might take place if the PDC emulator master role is transferred to the local domain controller before the next successful checkpoint.

The checkpoint process will be tried again in four hours.

Additional Data
                        Error value:
                        8452 The naming context is in the process of being removed or is not replicated from the specified server.

after few minutes got information msg:

NTDS (38 NTDSA: Online defragmentation has completed a full pass on database 'C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\ntds.dit'.

while got this msg from Primary DC:

The attempt to establish a replication link for the following writable directory partition failed.

Directory partition:
                        CN=Configuration,DC=greenhawk,DC=local
                        Source domain controller:
                        CN=NTDS Settings,CN=GHDC2,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=greenhawk,DC=loc al
                        Source domain controller address:
                        17c2d986-de2f-42b3-a6f1-12d8b3a1b89f._msdcs.greenhawk.local
                        Intersite transport (if any):

This domain controller will be unable to replicate with the source domain controller until this problem is corrected.

User Action
                        Verify if the source domain controller is accessible or network connectivity is available.

Additional Data
                        Error value:
                        8524 The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a DNS lookup failure.

foloowed by this msg:

he Knowledge Consistency Checker (KCC) successfully terminated the following change notifications.

Directory partition:
                        CN=Configuration,DC=greenhawk,DC=local
                        Destination network address:
                        17c2d986-de2f-42b3-a6f1-12d8b3a1b89f._msdcs.greenhawk.local
                        Destination domain controller (if available):
                        CN=NTDS Settings,CN=GHDC2,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=greenhawk,DC=loc al

This event can occur if either this domain controller or the destination domain controller has been moved to another site.

ill let it run overnight and see if gives me hint tomorrow.

is there other way i can do to test it?

also, should i make both dc global catalogue? please correct me if im wrong, it has to be done under AD Sites/service->Default firstsitename->Servers->DC2->NTDS Settings?

your are a savior, thank you so much!

Last edited by greenh; 2nd September 2009, 22:17.

Comment

i use replmon and shows now prob in replications.

"DateTime","9/3/2009 12:17:47 PM"
                          "PartnerType",">> Direct Replication Partner Data <<"
                          "DirectPartnerUSN","Property Update USN: 250414"
                          "DirectPartnerSuccess","The last replication attempt was successful. This took place at: 9/3/2009 12:06:58 PM (local)"

is this good indication that i successfully added 2nd dc? thanks!

Comment

should i also need to create 2nd DNS?
                            thank you.

Comment

DNS and GC, and update the required settings to reflect the new DNS server.

Make it a DNS server (AD-integrated zones, point itself to itself for DNS and update DHCP accordingly - and anything with a static IP) and make it a Global Catalog. You can then take the first DC offline for maintenance.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X