Installed in wrong order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed in wrong order

I have a Win2k DC. I installed a new Win2k3 R2 DC controller. On the new Win2k3 DC, users show up in AD but changes made to them do not go back to the first Win2k DC.

I did not run the adprep or forest prep before hand....I am pretty sure I am f*ed, but is their any way to fix this?

Or can I just delete the DC from metadata and then run the the two commands and have another go at it?
    Last edited by medic 66; 2nd September 2009, 14:17.

Re: Installed in wrong order

What AD mode are you running in?

Comment

If you didn't run forestprep and domainprep you are definitely going to have a mismatch between the DCs, so I would expect this behaviour. What I would do is manually mirror the user changes on the 2000 DC and then demote the 2003 DC back to a member server. Once that's done you can run adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep on the 2K DC and then re-promote the 2003 DC.

However if you have already transferred the FSMO roles I have no idea if this would work or not. I've never heard of anyone running adprep when a 2K3 DC already exists.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

From memory, I thought the dcpromo process was supposed to fail gracefully if the domain schema hadn't been updated as necessary? I'm not able to test this though as I won't have access to a copy of 2000 Server until I'm back at home next weekend.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
          If you didn't run forestprep and domainprep you are definitely going to have a mismatch between the DCs, so I would expect this behaviour. What I would do is manually mirror the user changes on the 2000 DC and then demote the 2003 DC back to a member server. Once that's done you can run adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep on the 2K DC and then re-promote the 2003 DC.

However if you have already transferred the FSMO roles I have no idea if this would work or not. I've never heard of anyone running adprep when a 2K3 DC already exists.
          Thank you all for the answers so far.

Fortunately I have NOT transferred any FSMO roles. Didn't plan to either though.

When it comes to the users in AD, I only added 1 single account so I can take care of that no problem. I will begin the demotion process tomorrow morning.

When I run to adprep and forest preps, do I get those from Disk 1 of the windows 2003 or from the Disk 2 that says "R2" on it?

Thanks,
          RC

Comment

Do it from the R2 disk. Windows Server 2003 imcrements the schema version, and then Windows Server 2003 R2 increments it again. If you have the licence for 2003 R2 you might as well make use of it
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by medic 66 View Post
              Thank you all for the answers so far.

Fortunately I have NOT transferred any FSMO roles. Didn't plan to either though.

When it comes to the users in AD, I only added 1 single account so I can take care of that no problem. I will begin the demotion process tomorrow morning.

When I run to adprep and forest preps, do I get those from Disk 1 of the windows 2003 or from the Disk 2 that says "R2" on it?

Thanks,
              RC
              I believe it is disk 2.

Comment

On the new Server are you installing the 32bit or 64bit version? If 64bit you will need to get the appropriate ADPREP as in a mixed environment the version supplied on the CD will not work.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X