X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC won't boot....DESPARATELY URGENT!

Guys,
    i desparately need help here.

I reformatted a server with 2003 R2 SP2 today. Transferred the 5 roles from another DC, then demoted that other other to a member server.
    There is another DC on the domain too.
    Problem is my new DC, which i need to install BES on won't reboot, it gets to "applying computer settings" and just sist there (well over an hour at last count).
    With my limited knowledge, i'm guessing i ballsed something up when configuring it as a DNS server? I admit i wasn't too sure about what i was doing, and can't remember everything i did either.
    However the other DC is having fits in the event log with all sorts of DNS errors, too many to mention.
    I think i may have made the new DC the primary one, if that makes sense, god knows why it won't boot though.

Thing is, i was left to do this by an engineer who has left for 2 weeks vacation and of course, on a weekend i have no access to external support.

I can't begin to tell you how depsarate i am to get this fixed, so any help(except negative comments at this stage) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: DC won't boot....DESPARATELY URGENT!

OK, first -- DONT PANIC
    Second, tell us what the events in the other DC are -- "too numerous to mention" really DOESNT help
    Third, on the other DC, check what it shows as the FSMO holders
    Fourth, go into DNS on that DC and check the original (demoted) one isnt still a DNS replication partner

Report back, and we may have some more bright ideas, but we want INFORMATION (Says the new Number 2)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      OK, first -- DONT PANIC
      Lol, ok, not panicking, just mightily peeved that i've spent 10 hours in work and had to drag my son in with me for half of that time....
      Second, tell us what the events in the other DC are -- "too numerous to mention" really DOESNT help
      Well thers is this:
      The DNS server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone %1. This DNS server is configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "%2". The event data contains the error.

and this:
      Event Type: Error
      Event Source: NETLOGON
      Event Category: None
      Event ID: 5774
      Date: 29/08/2009
      Time: 19:26:33
      User: N/A
      Computer: RESOURCESERVER
      Description:
      The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_gc._tcp.Paragon._sites.paragoninteriors.biz. 600 IN SRV 0 100 3268 resourceserver.paragoninteriors.biz.' failed on the following DNS server:
      DNS server IP address: xxx.x.xxx.x
      Returned Response Code (RCODE): 5
      Returned Status Code: 9017
      For computers and users to locate this domain controller, this record must be registered in DNS.
      USER ACTION
      Determine what might have caused this failure, resolve the problem, and initiate registration of the DNS records by the domain controller. To determine what might have caused this failure, run DCDiag.exe. You can find this program on the Windows Server 2003 installation CD in Support\Tools\support.cab. To learn more about DCDiag.exe, see Help and Support Center. To initiate registration of the DNS records by this domain controller, run 'nltest.exe /dsregdns' from the command prompt on the domain controller or restart Net Logon service. Nltest.exe is available in the Microsoft Windows Server Resource Kit CD.
      Or, you can manually add this record to DNS, but it is not recommended.
      ADDITIONAL DATA
      Error Value: DNS bad key.
      For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
      Data:
      0000: 05 00 ..

and this
      Event Type: Information
      Event Source: DNS
      Event Category: None
      Event ID: 5504
      Date: 29/08/2009
      Time: 20:45:52
      User: N/A
      Computer: RESOURCESERVER
      Description:
      The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name in a packet from 61.145.122.248. The packet will be rejected. The event data contains the DNS packet.
      For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Third, on the other DC, check what it shows as the FSMO holders
      Err....ok, the RID, RPC and INFRASTRUCTURE roles are all showing as ERROR under the existing server (instead of DC1), which is not good, and obviously i cannot transfer them as DC1 won't boot up. The Domain Naming role is correctly assigned to DC1.
      I did check all roles had been transferred correctly when i did them this morning. So something has gone screwey since then.
      Fourth, go into DNS on that DC and check the original (demoted) one isnt still a DNS replication partner
      Not sure how to do that?
      However been reading online that if the main DC (DC1 in my case) isn't connected or is offline (won't boot) then to use ntdsutil to clean up metadata on the replicating servers AD? But i'll await your advice on that.
      Report back, and we may have some more bright ideas, but we want INFORMATION (Says the new Number 2)
      Ok, hopefully that enough for you to chew on and help me out this pickle...
      Many thanks for your input so far.

Comment

Ok, rather than edit the last post, it will make easier reading posting anew.

Right connected to the 'old' demoted DC (SPARE) and DNS isn't setup so i assume its not stil innolved in any kind of replication, and AD doesn't exist, so i'm assuming it demoted correctly.
        I also don't think, after checking of course, that the existing working DC (RESOURCESERVER) isn't try to replicate from the SPARE DC.

This make sense?

Thanks

Comment

Ok, sunday is a different day.
          Right, i rebooted the dc1 and it eventually came back online.
          I checked in the AD if it was operations master for RID, PDC, INFRASTRUCTURE and NAMING SERVER and it was.
          Can i assume that because it was down that was why the other DC was reporting the ops master as ERROR?

Bit scared of it rebooting whilst installing bes in case it doesn't come up again.

Any ideas please?

Comment

What is your DNS set to on the server???

Comment

Ok, its sorted now.
              A couple of reboots seemed to fix the hanging at "applying computer settings".
              Check the DNS with a tech support dude, altered a couple of things which he said were'nt major and its all good now.........but BES install is a beeaattchh!!!

Thanks for the replies.....case closed!

Comment

What changes did you make???

Any changes to DNS could really be a major thing in an AD enviornment as AD relies so heavily on DNS.

Glad you got it sorted in the end and thanks for posting back.

Comment

Working...
                X