nslookup "bug"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nslookup "bug"

First, to explain the situation, we have a local DC, DNS and DHCP services on a machine with ip 172.17 .0.13. Secondary DNS is on 172.16.0.12 in another branch office, and everything is working fine, there aren't any real problems. I didn't do the initial setup of DNS, I just replicated the DC, and since all zones are AD integrated, they just "appeared" in DNS console of 172.17.0.13 machine. I intentionally changed all the machine names and domain, just in case

When I enter nslookup, and type machinename, I get the following :

C:\Documents and Settings\pmarinkovic>nslookup machinename
    *** Can't find server name for address 172.17.0.13: Non-existent domain
    Server: server.example.com
    Address: 172.16.0.12

Name: machinename
    Address: 172.17.0.130

But, when I enter nslookup shell, and put my DNS server as default, it gets the correct IP address of the machine (172.17.0.112)

C:\Documents and Settings\pmarinkovic>nslookup
    *** Can't find server name for address 172.17.0.13: Non-existent domain
    Default Server: server.example.com
    Address: 172.16.0.12

> server 172.17.0.13
    Default Server: [172.17.0.13]
    Address: 172.17.0.13

> computername
    Server: [172.17.0.13]
    Address: 172.17.0.13

Name: computername.example.com
    Address: 172.17.0.112

What can be the problem here? Just to clarify, pinging and accessing all the machines from 172.16.0.x subnet works great, even by hostname or fqdn, adding machines to domain also works normally, it's just this nslookup thingie is troubling me. I read online on some sites that this can help if you don't have a reverse lookup zone. In DNS console, I have reverse lookup zone for 172.16.0.x subnet, with PTR records for both nameservers, but I don't have reverse lookup zone for 172.17.0.x subnet. Can that be the problem?

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Re: nslookup "bug"

It's not a bug, and it's not a problem. The reason you get that message is because you don't have a reverse lookup zone. If you create reverse lookup zones for each subnet you won't get that message anymore. Reverse lookup zones are not required but it's standard practice to have them.

What do you mean you changed all the machine names and domain just in case? In case of what?

Comment

I'm a bit paranoid, perhaps

Thanks for your help joeqwerty

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
        X