Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Latency

Hello,

Lately we have been having random issues with users not being able to map drives through GP and Outlook connecting to Exchange slowly. When I was doing some tests on some of the machines that were having issues, I noticed that when I pinged the domain I would get pingtimes anywhere from 10 to 15 ms and the occasional <1ms (which it should be). I am starting to think this may be the cause of some of the issues. Is it possible for pingtimes like that in a local network with no more than 50 users to be able to see that kind of latency? And would it be possible for that to interfere with the logon process?

Thanks!

Re: Network Latency

IMHO 10 to 15ms ping times is not something that will cause those types of network connectivity issues. The thing to look at is packet loss and network congestion. Run a network capture and see if you see a lot of broadcast or ARP packets or a large number of duplicate acks. Run pathping to the DC, the file server, and Exchange to check for packet loss. Look at the link saturation of the switch ports and see if there's high utilization.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

I have been scanning and haven't seen any packet loss. I am starting to think it may be an overloaded switch too. I mean if it is one location with only 50 users max I should be getting better ping times that 10-15 ms right?

Thanks!

Comment

In general I would agree, but there are a lot of factors involved that should be looked at:

Port duplex and speed settings
        NIC duplex and speed settings
        Port congestion and utilization
        Switch CPU and memory utilization
        NIC utilization
        Broadcast and ARP traffic creating congestion

Comment

Working...
        X