How to completly remove all Sharepoint installations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to completly remove all Sharepoint installations

I am having issues with installing IIS (and associated parts) and sharepoint 2 (so that i can upgrade to wss3) but cannot get it to install correctly. so i need to know how to completly remove all sharepoint and iis remenants and the steps to reinstall it. i have googled to death, removed all versions (or thought i did) but when i get ready to install wss3, it wants to connect to a sql database which i don't have (used to but not anymore, removed all versions of that as well).. did the dotnetfix, sharepoint, iis, (the folder inetpub on C, etc...

any thoughts on this?

ps, have followed microsoft's recommended way to uninstall and reinstall but have not had any luck.

Re: How to completly remove all Sharepoint installations

I use add/remove programs to remove Sharepoint. I then check that the relevant Sharepoint files and folders have been removed after rebooting. Have you looked to see if there is something in Add/remove programs called Windows Internal Database or similar? Also, should the folders still exist, you should be able to just delete them after the aforementioned.

Also, is a service running near the system time suggesting a SQL instance? Are there any services related to SQL running? You could perhaps disable those and then try reinstalling.

Also, why are you trying to install WSS2 to upgrade to WSS3? Is this for test purposes or is it for a live environment? If so, how many users and how will it be used?

I had to fully remove a Sharepoint installation yesterday that had WSS2, WSS3, Sharepoint 2003 and 2007 installed. I just used add/remove programs. However, they use a separate SQL server.
    Last edited by Virtual; 26th August 2009, 18:43.

Comment

When I remove everything, I still have an instance of Windows Internal Database in the control panel, removing it get the "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". other than that, everything has been removed. do i need to get rid of this in the control panel, remove programs before i install?

d

Comment

That is probably installed by Sharepoint. If I am installing everything on the same box, I tend to use SQL Express as it is a free download. I install that on the Sharepoint box and then use that when setting the SQL server.

Have a look and see if any SQL services are running.

Comment

k, dl'ing sqlexpress and will set that up before all of the iis and related stuff. still want to know how to remove a line item (windows internal database) from the add/remove programs. tried to unregister it, but it says that it is not installed

Comment

Originally posted by Skorpio07 View Post
            k, dl'ing sqlexpress and will set that up before all of the iis and related stuff. still want to know how to remove a line item (windows internal database) from the add/remove programs. tried to unregister it, but it says that it is not installed
            This is worth reviewing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...10(WS.10).aspx

Looks like you can leave it there. Sharepoint and WSUS will use that if no SQL server is specified. Have you check that no Sharepoint folders are left on the server?

After checking that, restart the server and start to install the prerequisites for Sharepoint. Are you restoring data or wanting to install WSS3 from scratch?

Comment

The answer to "How to Remove an Add/Remove component from the Registry" is to navigate to this key:
              [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\Windows Internal Database]
              "DisplayName"="Windows Internal Database"
              and Delete it. So any program that will not remove itself from the Add/Remove list can be fixed by deleting the key in the Uninstall subkey.

now it is time to start again and reinstall iis 6, asp.net, etc.... hopefully this works

Comment

Originally posted by Skorpio07 View Post
                The answer to "How to Remove an Add/Remove component from the Registry" is to navigate to this key:
                [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\Windows Internal Database]
                "DisplayName"="Windows Internal Database"
                and Delete it. So any program that will not remove itself from the Add/Remove list can be fixed by deleting the key in the Uninstall subkey.

now it is time to start again and reinstall iis 6, asp.net, etc.... hopefully this works
                Keep us posted. If you read the article I provided, it suggests you don't need to and it states that Add/remove programs can't uninstall it. However, if this resolves your problem, who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  Keep us posted. If you read the article I provided, it suggests you don't need to and it states that Add/remove programs can't uninstall it. However, if this resolves your problem, who cares.
                  So now after another blown installation, here is what i am trying to do. run iis, install framework to 3 and patch and then add WSS3. question is whether to use sql lite or SSEE.

So help on if this is the correct steps would be great

thanks

Comment

Personally, I would use this.

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2...s/express.aspx

You effectively choose to install Sharepoint to a SQL server when asked. Install this before the rest and other updates.

You also need to install this.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en

With regards to installing WSS3, follow this. Post any errors you get along the way, if any. You of course don't use the Windows Internal Database. Your steps will slightly differ there.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc288005.aspx
                    Last edited by Virtual; 27th August 2009, 21:10.

Comment

Well,

Super-IT to the rescue....

it SEEMS like once a few security updates have take place, then doing the iis and .net scrub to bare metal will NOT allow sharepoint services 2.0 to install (and sadly enough, there is no comment in the event log regarding this)...

i knew i had an issue when in the Add/Remove applet, the WSS 2.0 would not stay checked and after some super sluething and one inspiring guess, it turns out that you should not use the CD applied with R2.

Instead you have to go to microsoft downloads and find Sharepoint Services 2.0 w/ SP2 (note do not download JUST the SP2 patch for WSS 2.0) and then install that. Poof and WSS2.0 comes up just fine. doing the upgrade to WSS 3.0 with SP2 and having no issues at all. created a site and added a user. playing around with sql tools and can see containers, sites and users. All is good for now.

Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 with Service Pack 2
                      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-ab0f1aa0f7f9

ps, update to WSS 2.0 SP3 afterwards, but delay the 3.5 anything....

Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with Service Pack 2
                      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-4565e8549c2a

Gotta play with SQL Express a little and many thanks for the extra toolset that you sent with the last post, i found one or two more that look good.

I will post the final "How to..." once i have all of the products on the right drives and have space..
                      Last edited by Skorpio07; 27th August 2009, 22:12.

Comment

Thanks for posting back. Glad to help and please do give us more information when you have it.

Comment

So back to the beginning

Install IIS and ASP.net and update (but not the 3.5)
                          Download and install Windows Sharepoint Services 2 w/sp2
                          verify that default website render's properly
                          update WSS 2 to WSS 2-SP3 and reboot (mandated)
                          ***to move the default website, do the following:
                          1) open explorer and copy c:\inetpub to d:\inetpub
                          2) open iis and right click on default website and change folder to D:
                          3) restart IIS and verify that default renders properly
                          Install Framework 3.0 and patch just 3.0
                          Download and install Windows Sharepoint Services 3 w/wp2
                          (i did the in-place upgrade and changed the search location to D) and reboot
                          Update WSS 3 to WSS 3-SP3 and reboot
                          Enjoy WSS 3!!1

Comment

Working...
                          X