Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP to TS from remote location and no local printers available

Hi all,

I set up a new 2003 TS server as he old one was too slow and drive space was running low, all working except for the its age.

In the new server all works fine except for, when establishing a RDP session from outside the company and needing to use the local printer.

Any suggestions as to why this can be?

Thanks
    CM

Re: RDP to TS from remote location and no local printers available

When you say local printer do you mean that the local printer on the workstation is not being redirected to the TS session? If so, do you have the appropriate driver installed on the TS?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Thats right, the local printer installed on home computers of staff working remotely.

I checked my documentation of when I built the old server and there was no need to install the drivers.

Non of the staff are able to redirect their local printers to their TS session.

Comment

Well there are several things to check:

Check that the TS has the appropriate drivers. Depending on the printers, it may already have them. To check, add a printer and see if there's a driver for the printers in question. If there is then you don't need to completely install the printer, you're just doing it to check for the driver.

Check that printer redirection is enabled in the GPO for the OU that the TS server is in.

Check that printer redirection is enabled on the RDP protocol of the TS.

Check that printer redirection is enabled on the user object in ADUC.

Comment

Hi Joe,

That is where it becomes a little complicated.

As it is a TS, is it not part of the domain and works a workgroup. Not my idea but a company policy that the non technical people have decided upon. We lost a few good men during that battle but so be it.

Everything from the client side is sound, it seems to be something server based that I have not be able to put my finger on.

I'll give the drivers and try and update the post with the results.

Thanks
          CM

Comment

If it's not part of the domain how do users log on to it? Have you created local user accounts for all the users?

Comment

There are a limited number or users and all have local accounts with admin rights - don't ask!

Comment

Then you'll need to look at the RDP protocol settings on the TS server to make sure that printer redirection is enabled. Also look at the properties of the user accounts to make sure printer redirection is enabled (I don't remember if those properties exist for local users). Also look in the event logs for any print related events that might give you a clue.

Comment

Working...
                X