X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS problem

Hello,
    i have a strange problem..
    I have a branch office and its connected to main office thru Cisco vpn.
    it has its own subnet.
    now on one of the comps I cannot make oultook run localy nor I can map drive.
    when I try mapping with IP it works but when I use name it says cannot find path.
    Logs are telling that srv record cannot be registered.
    so I flushed DNS, set type=srv then, _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domainname
    and the output was fine but still cant resolve names.
    tried to disjoin then rejoin to domain and that failed.
    got comp to main office join it in domain sent it back to branch office and nothing.
    Still just IP no names.
    Any idea?
    The chase is better than the catch

Re: DNS problem

It's only a problem on that single PC and none others in the branch office?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I think your client is not able to contact DNS server. Check you can ping your dns server from that client?

Comment

it is a single pc problem.
        I naturally tried ping my dns and its ok.
        net view is ok. RDC to terminal server is working.
        i can do everything with IP just cant resolve names.
        DNS on dc reports no errors
        and one more thing that is suspicious...
        outlook cant work from there just over terminal server.
        that is the reason I suspect on dns error.. cant contact global catalog for some reason.
        thats why I need help!
        cheers

Comment

IP2Host,

Can you post a IPconfig /all from both a working and the problematic PC?
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/bojan.INT/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/bojan.INT/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/bojan.INT/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/bojan.INT/Desktop/ScreenShot001.jpg[/IMG]You have ipconfig /all in attachment.
            Its only a problematic one.
            the other one is the same just different name of comp and ip address so i didnt want to wast space.
            Everything is ok as you can see. good dns addresses, good gateway etc.
            Attached Files

Comment

Your DNS servers are in a different subnet to your PC -- can they reach them by netbios and fqdn? (will need FQDN to log on IIRC)
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

They couldnt reach by name, just IP. Now I Have different kind of problem.
                I cant do RDC if I am using domain username. I can just log as a local administrator.
                When I do log as local admin I can do everything, ping by IP, by name, connect to terminal server, everything.
                But I cannot log with domain credentials!!!
                And when the guy who works there logs in he informs me that he cannot do almost anything I did as local admin.

Comment

Check that all your domain users or the users you want to connect to termnal server are member of local remote user group of your terminal server.
                  on problem pc, edit your host file. exact location of host file is not in my head at the moment. it is some where in systemdrive:\windows\system32\driver\etc. In host file create enteries for your mail ,dns and terminal server. I am assuming that you know who to do that. After editing your host file. try to connect to server

Comment

I have already did that.
                    unfortunately nothing changed.
                    its like problem pc is getting dns settings but with some error and I cant figure out which.
                    Users are in the Remote Users group.

Comment

Try rebuilding your TCP/IP stack on the problem PC.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5109840.html

If all else is failing, just reinstall the OS. I know that's a scorched earth solution, but if you count the cost of the time you've spent so far, it might be better in the long run to just wipe and reload. This is, of course, assuming you have a good automated backup/restore scheme as well as at least some kind of automated deployment service. If not... well... that's another thread.
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                        Try rebuilding your TCP/IP stack on the problem PC.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5109840.html

If all else is failing, just reinstall the OS. I know that's a scorched earth solution, but if you count the cost of the time you've spent so far, it might be better in the long run to just wipe and reload. This is, of course, assuming you have a good automated backup/restore scheme as well as at least some kind of automated deployment service. If not... well... that's another thread.
                        That's a good advice Ip2host,

Consider it as a birthday present since it's today
                        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                          Consider it as a birthday present since it's today
                          Wow, good timing... and he's 30 too!!

Oh, I'm sorry. Was that too loud?
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

thanx for the wishes!
                            but did I mentioned that pc is in the branch office?
                            I will have to do that remotely with asistance of non technical stuff.
                            reinstaling OS is not an answer considering I already changed machine there.
                            but here are some updates...
                            when I log as a domain admin I can work with RDC and terminal server from branch office to main.
                            But when I log like regular user RDC is not working saying connection was broken.
                            possible causes network problems. But network seems to work fine, have internet, ping, net view, just problems with network shares, RDC and mail.

Comment

I am afraid that rebuilding TCP/IP is not a solution.
                              Still nothing

Comment

Working...
                              X