snmp.exe overloading non paged memory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snmp.exe overloading non paged memory

We have a Win 2003 SP2 Derver as a DC. It is also an exchange server and a BES Server. Last week we upgraded Symantec SMSME 5.0.3.360 to SIFMSMSE 6.0.9.286 and Symantec Antivirus 10.2.0.276 to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202 MR4 MP2. Since that day the server is falling over evry roughly 17 hours. The logs get washed out by only 1 warning and or error. Different Event ID's found were 8031, 8252, 2019, 4015, 4004. After going through a lot of KB's and forums the link below seems to be the problem (I could be wrong)
    http://thebackroomtech.com/2007/11/2...ool-was-empty/

The problem is in my case the application that hogs the non paged memory is snmp.exe. Apparantly this application is used by many other Apps eg symantec, BES, OS.

My question is how do I control snmp.exe as it I think is a important for the server to function properly. I hope someone out there can fix my problem as i am going on holidays on next thursday and I don't want to leave without fixing it as there is no one else who looks after networkin issues.

Re: snmp.exe overloading non paged memory

SNMP is not needed for the proper operation of the server. SNMP is an optional component that allows you to poll the server and receive notifications from the server via SNMP for monitoring purposes. None of the products you mentioned are configured to use SNMP by default and may not use SNMP at all. The worst that could happen is that whatever SNMP monitoring solution you are using, if any, would stop working. My advice would be to set the SNMP service to disabled and reboot the server. You can then investigate a proper solution without worrying about the server crashing.

Comment

Thank you very much for the quick response. Once snmp.exe service is stopped what is right way to go and investigate something like this. Do I use a packet sniffer or should I just stop that service and forget about it. Please guide me the right direction to resolve this issue.

Comment

A packet sniffer will not help you figure out why it has a memory leak. In all honesty, if you're not using SNMP to monitor the server then uninstall SNMP from Add Remove Programs>Windows Components.

Comment

I appreciate your honesty and am thankful for all your help but my boss wants to know why did it happen in the first place. We did not have any issues like that before. We upgraded our Symantec as I informed in the first post and then this issue came through. I kinda need to explain with reason as to why did it happen and how can we avoid memory leaks like this again. I hope you understand my position.

Comment

Well that's like your boss asking why the lightbulb burned out. Can you give an answer for that?

You could try un-doing anything that was done right before the problem started and see if that helps. This might give you some insight in to what happened so that you can give your boss more info.

As far as avoiding this in the future, it is completely out of your control and not your fault. If the OS or a piece of software misbehaves there is almost nothing you can do to predict it or prevent it. If your boss wants a definitive answer he/she should contact Microsoft and ask them how they could allow this to happen.

If your boss wants to avoid memory leaks in the future, as well as any other problem with a service, program, network, etc. tell him/her to shut the server off as that's the only guaranteed way that there will never be another problem.

I don't mean to be sarcastic but I hate to hear when a boss wants an explanation for something that may not have an explanation, was probably not preventable, and will not guarantee that nothing will ever happen again.

Comment

Working...
            X