400 DNS Records missing on AD integrated zone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 DNS Records missing on AD integrated zone

I was checking on DNS server and found out that 400 records are missing.
    I have 7 Domain Controllers and 7 DNS Servers, all the zones are AD integrated.
    How do I find out how the records got deleted or were scavanged? What event ID should I look for?
    I know for sure that few of the current records got deleted. I can still ping using FQDN, how that works if record does not exist?

*** Removed embedded links ***
    Last edited by ahinson; 21st August 2009, 03:00.

Re: 400 DNS Records missing on AD integrated zone

I did go through event viewer on all DNS servers and found out Event ID 2501. Now I am trying to find out why it scavanged current records.

Comment

Check in DNS what time period you have set on scaveging. If those records havent updated themself they'll be scavenged. Scaveging is a great feature but you need a realistic time period specified in DNS before DNS starts removing stale resource records.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
        Check in DNS what time period you have set on scaveging. If those records havent updated themself they'll be scavenged. Scavenging is a great feature but you need a realistic time period specified in DNS before DNS starts removing stale resource records.
        I have around 7 DNS servers and each 5 of those are configured to scavenge records after 7 days at server level and 7 days at zone level, refresh and no refresh interval is 7 days.

Couple other servers are not configured to scavenge records at server level but are configured to scavenge at zone level. 7 days for all refresh/ no refresh / scavenge.

When scavenging is configured at both server and zone level which one takes precedence?

I am going to reconfigure aging settings and only configure one server for scavenging records.

Scavenging is configured at Server Level and Zone level , which takes precedence?

Comment

Working...
        X