Moving 2003 DC to new hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving 2003 DC to new hardware

I was able to get a lot of good info here on how to move a DC to new hardware. Just wanted to get some advise on two additional items.

1. Are there any additional steps involved when there is an Exchange server (not on the DC) in the AD enviroment.

2. After the old DC is demoted and removed can the IP address of the new DC be changed to the previously assigned IP of the old DC? Can this be done by just changing the address in network properties?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Re: Moving 2003 DC to new hardware

1. no
    2. are you going to add a DC, move all FSMO roles and demote the old one?
    make sure all roles are transferred and the replication is done
    as for the IP, it is possible to change the IP, follow this article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
    OneManITShop - IT Consultant
    BLOG: OneManITShop.blogspot.com
    eMail: [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I would like to keep the same name and address as the original DC, which I know can't be done from the start. The server being relpaced is primary DNS and has applications which clients utilize the server name. What would be the best way to change the server name as well after the original is removed from the domain?

Thanks again for any assistance.

Comment

how to rename DC http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_do...ler_rename.htm
        OneManITShop - IT Consultant
        BLOG: OneManITShop.blogspot.com
        eMail: [email protected]

Comment

Thanks again. The server is built and we a ready to switch. Just wanted to verify the steps as we understand them.

Add server to domain
          promote to DC
          transfer roles
          wait for replication
          demote old dc
          disconnect old dc
          change ip address
          rename server

Will the new DC become the SOA in DNS or is there additional configurations for this? Anything else missing?

Thanks again.

Comment

You need to make the new DC a DNS server and point it at itself, then update DHCP and any static addresses to reflect the new DNS server.

You also need to ensure that DNS is replicated - the easiest way to do this is to use AD-integrated zones.

Make sure that the new DC is also a GC.

Lastly, ensure you allow sufficent time for replication. During one of our support calls to Microsoft we were informed that they advise leaving it up to a week, even if everything appears to have replicated fully.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I've just done this.
              BUT... i was able to take advantage of a 'spare' server as it were.
              Do you not have another (member) server to use as DC temporarily?
              I promoted my spare to DC then transferred the FSMO roles to it and awaited replication.
              Then demoted the old one to a plain old member server and shut it down.
              Then, on the member server that you want to promote to DC permanently, rename it first with correct IP etc. THEN promote it and transfer the roles, await replication etc.
              Then demote the spare.
              As long as each member server has the correct DNS server listed then it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                Lastly, ensure you allow sufficent time for replication. During one of our support calls to Microsoft we were informed that they advise leaving it up to a week, even if everything appears to have replicated fully.

WHAAATT!?!?!?!? a week????
                Lol, gotta love Microshaft and their over zealous ways.
                Our tech engineer said 15mins!
                A week is not practical in a lot of instances.

I've never had the same advice to the same problem twice from MS support. I think they are no different to any other company when it comes to employing eejits on their support desks.

Comment

Fortunately we shutdown the original DC rather than demoting it. We left it for 24 hours before shutting down and still ran into problems, even after checking replmon etc to see that replication was complete.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I haven't seen it yet that you had to wait for a week, but 15 minutes is way to fast
                    But why isn't it practical? Why in a rush? You can simply use 2 DC's. It won't bite each other (well except DHCP and so)
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks again to everyone for their help. We do have a backup DC already in place. My concern was that the server we are replacing is the Primary DC and Primary DNS. We don't really have to make the new server have the same smae as the old, but because it is the primary DNS we want the IP the same so there is no configuration changes on the clients. Just wanted to clarify the DNS settings in the new server.

The server is ready to added to the domain. Should the primary DNS address be pointed to itself before it is added, or do we need the address of an existing DNS server?

Just want to make sure DNS functions correctly after the original primary is removed.

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

If your clients are getting there IP addresses from the DHCP server then all you need to change is the Primary DNS Address in the scope options.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. There is no DHCP involved, the clients have static addresses.

Comment

Ouch.

Maybe now is a good time to re-evaluate this scheme then.

It will create a bit of work for you in the interim but will be worth it further down the line.

Comment

Working...
                            X