Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring active directory windows 2003 on different hardware

Hi Guys,

I have been tearing my hair out with this one!

I am looking at disaster recovery and need to restore a domain with only a backup tape of the system state.

I know this would be easy if I had the same hardware but I will be using a Hyper-V virtual machine.

The server will be the first server and therefore the first domain controller.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by paulgold; 19th August 2009, 16:00.

Re: Restoring active directory windows 2003 on different hardware

What did you use to take the backup?

Keep in mind that you may run into problems getting the VM to see a tape drive.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Well I have backup exec 12.5 or Ntbackup.

basically I can change how I backup the active directory if I need too.

Comment

Also this would be with no tape drive either sadly . so I was thinking more along the lines of using NTbackup for these kind of scenarios.

I can then use VHDmount for adding the files to a virtual harddrive.

Comment

Ok, so the previous system is still accessible? Your post suggested that the server was no longer around and you only had a tape

I'd create the VM and promote that as a second DC, make it a DNS/GC, transfer the FSMO roles and then demote the previous server. In other words, don't make life unnecessarily difficult for yourself.

Also, don't forget that Microsoft say you should keep at least one physical DC.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I would definitely have a physical DC, even if it is only the Hyper-V host. That way your users can still authenticate if there's an issue with the VMs.

Another option would be to add another backup job in Backup Exec or ntbackup, which just backs up the System State to disk of some sort. That way you've got a device that is more easily accessible when you need to restore a VM. Having multiple DCs is definitely the best option though, as then you can just DC Promo and replicate, rather than having to worry about restoring AD.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thing is I know how to do all that I need to know how to do this before something like this happens.

I have been asked for a recovery plan if both our DC's were destroyed.

So is there a way without the system state restore to only restore the active directory?

Comment

If you don't have a System State backup (not necessarily a backup of only the System State) then you don't have an AD backup. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bac...tive+directory
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Is there a way of just pulling out the active directory components and restore those?

Like the registry keys that are needed files and so on.

Comment

Maybe with third party products, but not with NTBackup.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Hi All,

I'm also interested in this topic, by doing NTBackup System State option in a DC all AD components including DNS will also be backed up therefore for the restoration process you can just boot into AD restore mode (Authoritative restore) after server rebuild.

Code:
                      http://www.petri.com/restore-windows-server-2003-active-directory.htm
                      cmiiw ?

Comment

I have found what looks to be a very interesting third party piece of software.

I have not tested it yet but looks promising.

http://utools.com/Default.asp

Comment

I have attempted recovering AD to new hardware. It was just a test but it was not successful. I followed Microsoft article Q263532
                          The blurb in the summary of this article shows me that it is a problematic process.
                          To avoid this scenario how would you prepare for it.
                          What is the likelihood of the domain being corrupted beyond repair that this becomes necessary?
                          Lets say all your DCS have been stolen what would you like to have to recover in the fastest possible way?

Comment

The likelihood of AD becoming corrupt is pretty slim, especially if you have multiple DCs as at least then if DC1 messes up, DC2 still has to accept replicated data as valid or not. AD is built on a pretty stable database technology. I've seen many setups where the admin was convinced that AD was corrupt, when the problem was due to a corrupt GPO, or a corrupt profile, or...
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                            X