Installing and Working with GPMC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing and Working with GPMC

I have recently installed group policy managment console. I would like to control users password settings\restrictions. I created a group policy object. I then try to set expirations and restrictions but I cannot find the settings.

I have gone to object right click and choose edit. I then go to windows settings and then security but nothing is there. To my knowledge I needed to set the poliocy standards and then link to domain but I am kinda lost.

I have windows server 2003 and using exchange 03. I also have AD installed on server.

HELP!

Thanks

Re: Installing and Working with GPMC

I would suggest you modify the existing policy in the Default Domain Policy, rather than splitting these settings out into a new GPO.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Is there any reason why I wouldn't create a policy and call it specifically domain password policy? So let me go your route. I will use the default domain policy. I right click edt\windows settings\security settings. Now where is the password settings?

Thanks again
      I am knew here but been scouting board and think I will use alot

Comment

Originally posted by Mfredo View Post
        Now where is the password settings?
        Under Account Policies.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ah! I was under user configuration I needed to be under computer settings.

After I add the policy settings I just need to link domain to policy correct?

thanks so much! great help

Comment

Yes - again though, I would recommend that you only make these changes in the Default Domain Policy, unless you have removed the existing settings from that policy. There can only be one password policy in a 2003 domain.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

I just installed the console so no settings have been made or applied. It is all default right now. Starting at ground zero.

Do you have any links or recomend any books to learn more about this topic? I suspect managing it will all be done in the console ie when a user is locked out or wants to change passwords and I would like to learn more about it.

and how do I give reputation points?
              Last edited by Mfredo; 19th August 2009, 13:40.

Comment

Do you have any links or recomend any books to learn more about this topic?
                and this forum.

Also a virtualised lab if you have access to MSDN/TechNet etc for the licences. The only real way to learn something like this is to do it.

and how do I give reputation points?
                With the Yin/Yang icon at the top right of the post
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                X