WS2K3 Install on IBM Eserver With SCSI Drives & RAID Controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WS2K3 Install on IBM Eserver With SCSI Drives & RAID Controller

I'm preparing to install WS2K3 on an IBM Eserver that will function as a fileserver. The machine has 6 146.8GB SCSI drives managed by a RAID controller. When I tried to use a company image, it didn't recognize the hard drive (gave me a No Hard Drive Detected error). While the OS was loading, I tried hitting F6 to install third party SCSI/RAID drivers but it didn't take the input. I'm assuming the image lacks the drivers so I'm going to install a "clean" volume-licensed version of the OS. My question is whether this will resolve the issue or there may be something else I'm not taking into consideration. One more thing, I went into the BIOS and RAID controller settings and made adjustments there, to no avail.

Looking forward to your response. Thanks for your consideration.

Re: WS2K3 Install on IBM Eserver With SCSI Drives & RAID Controller

Since we don't know what RAID controller you're using, we can't really say whether or not the Windows CD will have the drivers or not. Do you have a bootable CD for the server which will start the Windows installation (similar to the OpenManage CDs you get with Dell servers)? If not, you'll either need to copy the drivers onto a floppy and press F6, or integrate the drivers into a Windows CD.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

gforceindustries pretty much covered it there. If the server is relatively new then it's pretty unlikely 2K3 will have the drivers for it bundled. I have had issues in the past with the F6 prompt and pre-built images, it seems to depend on the imaging software used with Ghost being particularly tempramental in my experience.

Also bear in mind that if you don't have a floppy drive in your server you'll probably have to use nlite to slipstream the driver into the install media, as 2K3, like XP, has almost no support for USB floppy drives from the F6 prompt.

A server-class SCSI RAID controller will not have any kind of emulation features like you get with a SATA controller, so there won't be any options in there that will help.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by dpantoja View Post
        I'm preparing to install WS2K3 on an IBM Eserver that will function as a fileserver. The machine has 6 146.8GB SCSI drives managed by a RAID controller. When I tried to use a company image, it didn't recognize the hard drive (gave me a No Hard Drive Detected error). While the OS was loading, I tried hitting F6 to install third party SCSI/RAID drivers but it didn't take the input. I'm assuming the image lacks the drivers so I'm going to install a "clean" volume-licensed version of the OS. My question is whether this will resolve the issue or there may be something else I'm not taking into consideration. One more thing, I went into the BIOS and RAID controller settings and made adjustments there, to no avail.

Looking forward to your response. Thanks for your consideration.
        IBM eServers to my knowledge are old models that have been superceded by the Xseries AFAIK. You should have a Server RAID disc for it or an install CD that injects the neccesary drivers on installation (all IBM servers come with around 6 discs required for installation). If you dont have them you will need to go to IBM's website and download the drivers for the RAID card. Adjusting settings in the BIOS wont help. Windows cannot recognise the controller if it doesnt have the neccesary drivers in the distribution.

Comment

Working...
        X