No announcement yet.

FTP Web Site Restircition

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP Web Site Restircition

I am having windows 2003 server & currently Isolated FTP is configured through IIS ,

Actually i need to put a policy for Certain User that they won't download the the File
    from FTP

can anybody suggest how to restrict user from downloading a file from FTP site but he can view the file (however file must be in PDF)

Re: FTP Web Site Restircition

The process of "viewing" the file requires it to be downloaded - just that in the case of viewing the file, it's being downloaded to Temp (or similar) and not prompting the user to choose where to save it.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Than how it is possible to restrict user not to download however he can view the file...any third application tool.

It is NOT possible!
        To view the file, the data must be loaded onto your computer. This is called a download

You could investigate Digital Rights Management which would allow you to restrict what can be done with the file, but I don't know how this would fit in with FTP!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **