This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert dynamic disk to basic

Is there a way to convert dynamic disk to basic without loosing tha data?
    i know microsoft does not offer this option, but i've been thinking if there is a third party utility to do that.
    Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
    HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
    the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

sorry never heard of any that do.

Let us know if you find something.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

You're in luck because there is a way.

I've done it a few times but it's not considered a "recommended" practice by Microsoft like you said...

Make sure to backup before trying this!

HOWTO: Convert a dynamic disk back to a basic disk without data loss
      Posted By: o2
      **Disclaimer: This ONLY works if you have NOT used ANY of the "new" features of dynamic disks such as extending a partition or software RAID. This is an expert-level procedure, so if you don't know what you are doing, you shouldn't be attempting this.**

1) Install dskprobe.exe on the system. (This is one of the utilities in the Windows 2000 support tools on the install CD, and can be installed by simply copying the .exe file to the hard drive.)
      2) Run dskprobe.exe on the system.
      3) Select the Drives menu and "Physical Drive. . ."
      4) Double click on the drive that you want to convert back to a basic disk. Click the "Set Active" button next to that drive.
      5) From the Sectors menu, select "Read"
      6) Accept the defaults (begin sector 0, read 1 sector) and click "Read"
      7) In the editor, go to the "01C0" line and the third bit should be a "42". Change that to a "07". **Note, a few machines have had this on the "01D0" line instead. I don't know what that means, so I wouldn't try it unless it is on a pure test box. *****
      From the Sectors menu, select "Write". Confirm all dialog boxes. **Note: This is the step that will hose your box if you have not followed the above instructions correctly.**
      9) Exit dskprobe.exe. Reboot
      10) Run chkdsk on the affected logical drive(s). If any errors are found, do a chkdsk /f to fix them. Done.

***** svdsinner writes: I did some research, and this relates to having multiple partitions on the drive. I assume partition 1 would be at "01C0", Partition 2 would be at "01D0", Partition 3 would be "01E0", and Partition 4 would be "01F0". I would assume that you would be required to change every partion on the drive back for this to work. However, I have not tested this. Do so at your own risk.

Special thanks go to svdsinner!
      Ok, once you do this Windows will boot up. Once you go back into disk management the drive will not be listed, just re-add it (import) and that's pretty much it.

http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

the quote says that this procedure should not be implement on dynamic drives that were part of a software raid.
        how can you tell if a drive was part of a software raid, after break mirror?
        Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
        HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
        the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

Originally posted by shai tsanani
          the quote says that this procedure should not be implement on dynamic drives that were part of a software raid.
          how can you tell if a drive was part of a software raid, after break mirror?
          You'd know because some or all of the drive would be part the array. If it isn't being used in this way or others mentioned its safe to do it.
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Convert dynamic disk to basic

I use Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.0
            It works fine with me Convert dynamic disk to basic
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ZorbaJor View Post
              I use Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.0
              It works fine with me Convert dynamic disk to basic
              Thanks
              I can confirm this process. Had a W2k3 Server with dynamic disks and was unable to convert the system disk back into a basic volume.

I installed Paragon Partition Manager 8.5. There were two partitions on the system disk. I had to move all the data of the second partition to another disk, delete the second partition and than convert the remaining back to basic. I even could enlarge the partition without any problem. After the reboot and the conversion process everthing was fiine.

rgds

erzhal

Comment

Wow we certainly are dregging up old posts now.

This thread is over 2 years old.

Reported for closing.

Comment

Working...
                X