Accessing Website internally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing Website internally

I am not sure where this should be posted, but it is windows server 2003 using IIS. Please move to where it needs to be if needed. I have a website hosted on a webserver that has a private IP address for an internal network. That is connected to a switch and the switch is connected to a Cisco Pix. I have NATing on the Pix to translate my public IP to the Private IP set on my webserver. I do not have active directory or DNS installed on the network. Both Servers and 1 desktop are part of a workgroup. All computers are using the 1 DNS server from my ISP, and 1 DNS server where my DNS records are kept. Everyone can access the site outside the internal network, but I can not access it from internally on the desktop. I also can not access it from the web server itself that has IIS and website content. I have tried public and private IPs in the URL address bar and have tried the URL FQDN and nothing resolves. I can get to every other page out on the internet. So what is the deal? I am not that great with IIS so I dont know if the problem lies there or with the network in general? Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks.

Re: Accessing Website internally

Figured out the Problem! Here is the solution for anyone that cares or has this problem in the future:

Never have host headers for the main website using a particular IP Address.
    For example:
    www.test.com uses 1.1.1.1

test.com uses 1.1.1.1 as well, and as a result must have a host header record of “test.com” so IIS knows to go there if someone types that into the browser, even if it redirects to www.test.com.

www.test123.com uses 1.1.1.1 as well, and as a result must also use a host header of www.test123.com

(the main site should never have a host header record)

Comment

Working...
    X