Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NTBackup script for automatic send backup report to a emal id.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTBackup script for automatic send backup report to a emal id.

We would like to use NTBACKUP as a cheap solution to backups. Scheduled to run every evening is easy. However, we also would like the .log file to be emailed . Probably best to use a batch file or script - any ideas?

1. We have around 50 servers,
    2. We don't have any tape drive.
    3. we are keeping backup to a different network path.

I need to login to each server everyday and take backup and check the backup report daily, instead I want a script whick will run automatically in a particular time and send me the report ( Success / Failure) to a email ID.

Re: NTBackup script for automatic send backup report to a emal id.

With "around 50 servers", I would suggest the last thing you want is a "cheap" solution. Consider the cost of restoring things if there is a major disaster!
    I would suggest you look at an enterprise class product which NTBackup (although one of my favourite programs) is definitely NOT

However, a quick does give the following link which appears to offer much of what you want:
    http://vittoriop77.blogspot.com/2006...ackup-log.html
    Some editing of the Italian will be needed!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

While not quite what you're looking for, it would be incredibly simple to automate your backups and have the logs stored in a central share. Are you really running manual backups on 50 servers?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi,

I am regularly taking backup of 17 servers and it is manually. i tried to make it automatic but my manager do not want to do that. He wants all backup log to be emaild, again he is not ready to go for a standard backup software.

Please advice as i am frustrated to take backup manually everyday.

Comment

If your manager doesn't want backups to be automated though, then your script isn't going to be accepted anyway...

If he insists that your backups must be run manually then I would probably suggest you use something like psexec from your desktop to have the backup job started on each server. Makes your life easier and satisfies your boss in that backups are still being run pseudo-manually.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by viswarup View Post

Please advice as i am frustrated to take backup manually everyday.
            Upgrade your manager?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In my experience, managers are stuck in the past, as they've not been "hands on" for quite some time. Maybe you could find a day's training for him on data security best practices to help him come to terms with automation of an essential business function
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Hello Friends,

I have found some scripts, I am posting the link here may be it will help you in future.

1. http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20921686.html

2. http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._21457271.html

Comment

Working...
                X