Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• w32time using old DC

Hey guys,

ive been looking at how w32time is behaving, and noticed that it is acquiring the time on my PDC (2k3 server) from my old windows 2000 server. Both of these show the 2k3 DC as the PDC. The 2k3 server has its AnnounceFlag set to 10 (decimal, A in hex...i wasnt dumb and put 10 in hex). Ive tried setting the LocalNTP and ReliableTimeSource registry flags to 0 on the 2000 server, but then the 2k3 server just whined that it couldnt find a reliable time source when I resync'd.

Since the announceflag on the 2k3 PDC is set to A, it should be automatically deciding it is the authoritative time server, right?

Re: w32time using old DC

i should add that all dcdiag tests pass on the 2k3 PDC

Comment

yeah same problem happening to me. I have one win 2000 dc and 3 win 2003 dc. win 2003 dc is pdc so theoritically all clients should be synching their clock from windows 2003 but it is not happening this way. If I try my clients to get clock from win 2003 machine, client clock do not work appropriate but if i direct them toward win 200 machine for time sync it works. I am scratching my head too

Comment

I used GPO's when I migrated from my 2000 dc to my 2003 dc as a primary. I configured a GPO telling my 2003 DC to service time requests and sync with the external source. And then shutoff the time service on the 2000 dc.

It sounds like your 2003 server doesn't realize its suppose to be servicing time requests to me.

I suppose you could also use a GPO to tell you windows xp and above desktops who the time server is now if you needed too.

Sorry I cant add more, need to run for now.

Comment

Win 2000 server is schema master and domain naming master, win 2003 machine is RID, PDC and infrastructure master. When I configure clients to sync clock with win 2003 machine, clients clocks were displaying wrong time but when I changed clients to sync with win 2000 dc their time settings are ok. I used group policy in both conditions to direct clients to sync clock

Comment

Working...
          X