Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy Server

Morning Folks,

I am trying to clean up the Active Directory at my new job. We have 2 DC's in the Domain Controllers OU but when you right click on the domain and select connect to domain controller there is a 3rd Domain controller. I have found out that this was an old server and is no longer in use and in now in the computers container.

Is it as simple as deleting the computer account??

I have followed the instrctions here:
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...3414.html?Ad=1

and the 3rd Domain controller is not listed so I assume AD knows it is no longer a domain controller but if that's the case then why does it still give me the option to connect to it

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Update

I thought I would bite the bullet and just try to delete the computer object as it doesn't even exist in DNS.

I tried to delete it but get the following error "The DSA object cannot be deleted"

Anyone seen this before??

It's not causing any problems but I just want the AD tidyied up before we think about migrating to 2003

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

read this about this error http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q216498
      Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
      HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
      the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

I'd like to hear if that KB article worked for you.

Comment

Once again shai - you officially are the Daddy.

Worked a treat.

Once I followed the step the computer turned into a normal workstation (not a domain controller)

Had a slight problem removing the actual account but it was a permission thing which was easily sorted.

Machine has been removed and AD no longer thinks it's a domain controller.

Thanks

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X