No announcement yet.

server crashed with no clues in Even Viewer

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server crashed with no clues in Even Viewer

Our fileserver recently crashed. The gist of it is that is stopped receiving any connections and the screen went blank. After a few minutes, it came backup with the following error: "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition CD-ROM now."

We restarted, and everything started working again and the error message is gone. I've looked through the Even Viewer and cannot find anything during the time it crashed. Besides doing some research on the error, what might be some other methods to determining the root cause? We are running Server 2k3 SP2.

Thanks in advance,
    - your friendly neighborhood networkguy

Re: server crashed with no clues in Even Viewer

Check the logs of your security products.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: server crashed with no clues in Even Viewer

Yup, I did not find any threats in the AV logs either. I'm running a AV scan just in case though.