PDC crash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDC crash

A big problem after the crash of my PDC (Windows 2000 Server). I've got the BDC (Windows 2000 Server) online and the clients can login ok. A strange thing is that I don't see DNS snap-in under Administrative Tools folder (perhaps because the PDC is dead ). A lot of questions :

1) Need to add the DNS component to my BDC ?
    2) Need to Sezing FSMO roles to my BDC and then run DCPROMO to promote BDC -> PDC ?
    3) which is the right sequence of operations in order to solve this problem ?

A little help would be appreciated

Bye
    Alessandro

Re: PDC crash

Luckily the time of BDC's and PDC's are over...

Anyhow can the DC being restored?
    Else, yes you have to install and seizing the roles. Searching this site will give you some how-to's for seizing the roles.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Dear Marcel,

If I remember well, the DC data are part of System State backup. I've got it. Even I got a complete image of the PDC system disk.

What can I do ?

Bye
      Alessandro

Comment

Well I would recommend not restoring the DC at this point if you've made any changes or updates on the "BDC".

Try installing the Administrative Tools on the "BDC" to see if that fixes the issue with the DNS management console. If not, I won't do any harm anyway. After that follow this article to sieze the FSMO roles:

http://www.petri.com/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm

Comment

Dear joeqwerty,

On BDC i've already got Administrative Tools but not the DNS snap-in. Need to add the DNS component to solve this problem ?

Bye

Comment

Have you looked at Control Panel, Administrative Tools for the DNS tool.

Comment

DNS not found !

Comment

Make sure your remaining DC has DNS installed. If not, install it and then ake sure the DC is pointing at itself as DNS.

You can then seize roles as recommended by Joe and Dumber below. Joe provides a link. You may have to do it via the NTDSUTIL command if other links are missing in admin tools or you have errors whilst using the GUI to seize.

You then need to clean metadata of the old DC, reinstall it (if hardware allows you to) and then you can troubleshoot, if it was a hardware malfunction that caused the faults in the first place.

Comment

Please read my post at http://server-helpdesk.blogspot.com/

a very lengthy post... sorry

I had some what a similar situation and as joe shows a link that, have used it myself. excellent resource.

thanks n hope it helps

Comment

So guys this morning I did seizing roles. Reboot DC and everything seems ok. But after I've got some troubles with permissions to ODBC DSN and IIS stops working a lot of times. Restore the AD and now I'm with my old config. Damn.....

Two questions :

1) after seizing roles need to run dcpromo ?
                    2) How can i clean metadata about my old DC ?

Please remember that my old PDC is not online, because mobo failure !!

Bye
                    Last edited by yokohama; 7th August 2009, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by yokohama View Post
                      So guys this morning I did seizing roles. Reboot DC and everything seems ok. But after I've got some troubles with permissions to ODBC DSN and IIS stops working a lot of times. Restore the AD and now I'm with my old config. Damn.....

Two questions :

1) after seizing roles need to run dcpromo ?
                      2) How can i clean metadata about my old DC ?

Please remember that my old PDC is not online, because mobo failure !!

Bye
                      1) You don't need to as it is already a DC.

2) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...78(WS.10).aspx

Also, make sure you never bring the failed DC online should you ever repair the Motherboard.

Comment

thanks 4 the quick reply.

Maybe it was the fact that i didn't clean the metadata the cause of my troubles with ODBC and IIS crash ?
                        Last edited by yokohama; 7th August 2009, 10:37.

Comment

Not entirely sure. Has that problem now been resolved?

Also, make sure you remove any entries left in DNS for the failed DC and any in AD Sites and Services. If you use DHCP or have manual DNS entries for the old DC, remove those as well.

Comment

No after all problem not solved. On the intranet (ASP pages) when I use a DSN to connect to a db (Access or SQL Pervasive) IIS stops working. If I try to view DSN settings from the control panel, the system told me that I don't have sufficient permission to do that. Restoring AD (backup made before seizing roles) and everything works well !

In attachment my DC dcdiag.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by yokohama; 7th August 2009, 13:53.

Comment

In the meanwhile we ordered a replacement server. The next two weeks the company is closed for vacations, so the new server was delivered to my home. Since my BDC is yet a backup domain controller, is a stupid thing if I'll restore a system state of the original PDC on the new server ?

Comment

Working...
                              X