Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Question

Hey guys!

I was visiting a new client that was transitioning off of another IT vendor and they have three DCs which all have DNS roles. The weird thing is that when I look at the DNS entries they do not have any A records for their client machines. The only A record listings that they have are for their servers which I find a little unusual. Does this sound right to you?

Also, I was wondering. I know that a DNS server is supposed to point to itself but what if you have multiple DNS servers? Do they all point to themselves or do they point to one primary DNS server which points to itself?

Thanks!

Re: DNS Question

How do clients get IPs -- via DHCP from a server?
    You could run an IPCONFIG/REGISTERDNS on a client to see if it creates the records

For the second question, I tend to point my DNS servers at themselves first and then at one other server second, but thats just an IMHO!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X