Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Licensing Win2k3 & Exchange

Hello All,

I have been looking for guidance on this for some time now and am unable to find any info on the subject.
    Our company Headquarters is in Europe and a fully owned daughter company in asia with a Global Domain structure between the two. Including Active Directory and Exchange Servers located in both locations. The physical servers that everything runs on are property of the Headquarters in Europe.
    What Licensing for the Microsoft Servers do we need to have and where?
    Thanks in advance for the input
    John

Re: MS Licensing Win2k3 & Exchange

Well... you need Windows licences for the Windows Server machines (which may include licences for virtual machines, however I doubt this since you're using 2003) and you need Exchange licences for the Exchange servers. You need CALs for Windows Server and Exchange Server, which can be a mixture of device and/or user CALs.

A device CAL allows any user to use that device to access the service the licence is for (such as a Windows server). A user CAL allows a given user to use any device to access that service. CALs are not for concurrent users - a system based around the user CAL licensing model with 30 users requires 30 user CALs, even if only 5 of those users are ever using the system at a time.

Maybe you can explain what exactly you are not sure about?

Have you tried asking Microsoft for advice? They have a team contactable by phone able to discuss licensing requirements. Or if you have a volume licence, you could discuss it with the provider - even if you don't, if an existing supplier offers them they will probably be willing to offer some guidance.

Since we don't know versions (of Exchange), editions or your licensing model... not much we can suggest. Read the EULAs that came with the products?
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 4th August 2009, 02:16.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Contact a Microsoft licencing expert.

As Gareth has pointed out you will need both a windows CAL and an exchange CAL for every user you have, so if you have 100 users you will need 100 Windows CAL's and 100 Exchange CAL's.

I always then add at least 2 of both to my total.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks both for the responses. I was not aware that MS had a Licensing Hotline. Every time I have ever called MS I always get either a “What is that?” Response or told that I do not have support and a call will cost me a load of € payable in advance. Sorry for not explaining the situation completely the cals for W2K3 and Exchange as well as the server licenses are clear to me the question is since the server is still owned by the parent Company here in Europe can we Purchase the licenses under our open contract even though the server will be physically in asia? I will also look for a MS licensing Phone Number to call maybe I will get a decent intelligent response this time.
        Thanks
        John

Comment

They even have a site about it
          http://www.learnlicensing.com/
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by jgffm View Post
            our open contract
            Your volume licence supplier would be the best place to start. If they can't answer your questions, time to find a new supplier

We have a contact with our supplier who's job is purely to answer clients questions about licensing. What's particularly good is that when multiple options are available (user vs device CALs, or the various licensing models available for SQL server etc), he will put together detailed cost comparisions to ensure we get the best value.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for the link I will read through it possibly find the answers to my questions.

That sounds like you have a great supplier.
              I have been looking for a new supplier for years now but have not found one that is competent and interested in dealing with a smaller company.

Thanks Again
              John

Comment

Which country are you in?
                Gareth Howells

Comment

I'm very interested! I would love to find out more inforamtion related to this topic. Thanks in advance.
                  me too, I need more detailed info

comparatif simulation taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la prise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un pręt automobile donne.comparatif simulation taux pret auto

Comment

I am in Germany.
                    Even after reading through the MS Licensing page I am still no closer to finding a answer to my situation. The License agreement does not state anything about location in it so I guess I could purchase all of the licenses here and after the server (ESX Server with DC, MX, File Server and ISA) is shipped to Asia the assigned licenses will just go with it. However it would be nice to confirm this with a MS Licensing guru and even better would be to have something written from MS.
                    Thanks
                    John

Comment

As i said before your best bet is contacting a Microsoft licencing expert.

Comment

jgffm
                        I have been told in the past (by Microsoft licensing staff) that licenses bought in the USA or Western Europe can be used worldwide, but those bought elsewhere can only be used in a limited range of countries -- as said, though, get a definitive (written) opinion from Microsoft!
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                        X